It will offer an overview of video equipment and how to get professional results, regardless of your budget.
You will also get hands-on lessons in how to shoot professional footage on both lightweight digital cameras and your own smartphones, and edit the footage in Final Cut Pro X.
Most of all, you'll discover how to find stories for video, how to tell them in the most visual way and craft a compelling narrative, using advanced storytelling techniques.
What will the course cover?
- A high speed introduction to all the technical stuff that usually takes months to find out, including a rundown of the various file types, codecs and frame rates, and how to choose the best one for your project.
- A behind the scenes look at how to create compelling non-fiction narratives in video, through examples and study of narrative structure.
- A step-by-step workflow for setting up stories, getting professional shots (regardless of your equipment) and how to edit them effectively.
- How to shoot video the right way, including how to set up interviews, using the environment to your best advantage, without having to worry about big lighting set ups.
- The secrets of visual storytelling and how to shoot professional scenes, sequences and b-roll in different situations.
- How to editing a basic film together using industry standard software.
- How to make the most of your new skills, improve the quality of your films and make the most of a fast growing area of online publishing.
What do I need to bring?
- You will need to bring a smartphone to attend this course
About Adam WestbrookAdam is a multimedia producer, filmmaker and lecturer based in London, specialising in web-native video.
He has run courses in video production and strategy for clients including TimeOut, Guardian Media Group, Media140, Redactive Publishing and the Council of Europe.
With a background in broadcast news, Adam has produced web documentaries about prison votes, the Iraq war and climate change, as well as video content for the Times Online, VJ Movement and Absolute Radio.
He runs the publishing house HotPursuit Press and edits Inside Story Magazine, a quarterly web-native periodical.
Testimonials"An impressive amount of useful tips, guidance and hands-on training was effortlessly crammed into one day. A great crash course for novice or intermediate videomakers going online."
Arlid Foss, The Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC)
"Very good. It was a well-paced course from someone clearly passionate about the media and the way he conveyed his knowledge to us was excellent. I would have no hesitation in recommending the online video journalism course by Adam Westbrook to others."
Matt Eastley, Beetroot PR