Author Topic: www.london.com paid opportunities  (Read 6443 times)

callumm20

• Email
www.london.com paid opportunities
« on: March 30, 2012, 09:07:55 AM »
About London.com

London.com is going to be the exciting new website for visitors to London. It will showcase everything to do, eat, drink and see in London.

Some key London visitor statistics;

•   14.6 million international visitors, spending £8.7bn
•   11.6 million domestic visitors, spending £2.5bn
•   Over 181 million day visitors (excluding commuters), spending £12.2bn
•   Estimated day visitor retail spend £4bn
•   During the Beijing Olympic Games, t he official website, Beijing2008.cn attracted 16.5m visitors during the first 10 days (1.5m per day)

There is so much to see and do in London and very few places for visitors to actually find out about what is really going on, including the Olympic Games.

The selected few will have the opportunity to attend product launches, review shows, have lunches at fantastic restaurants and visit attractions. These things will all be provided free. We are simply looking for trusted, reliable and respectable journalists who want to experience these things and write about them.

You will also gain some fantastic exposure for your work which may lead to a permanent role with London.com or with someone else. Imagine having that you have written for www.london.com on your CV.

This is a great opportunity for anyone that wishes to help promote their skills and find a way in to the industry.

RULES

We have a few rules which you agree to if you decide to write for us:

1) You will not steal stories or content from other sources.
2) You will not offend people, use the site for personal gain or cause London.com to be liable in any way for due to your actions.
3) You  retain full ownership, liability and responsibility for any stories you write for London.com or any images you use on London.com
4) You will not be prejudice or present facts that are untrue.
5) You will agree that London.com has full rights to use your content but you’ll remain the rightful author at all times.

If you agree to the above terms please email editor@vlenterprises.co.uk with the following information:

1) I agree to the rules provided to us via email.
2) The name you would like your stories to be published as.
3) The Email Address and your contact details including telephone number.
4) Example of your work

We will then contact you to have an initial chat and agree how to progress.

After an initially review period of your work, if suitable we will increase your rights to full Author allowing you to post stories immediately and delete posts. Editor positions will become available with time but only to the very most trusted and successful journalists.

What you Gain from This
•   You’ll be part of a new and exciting project combining stories and media globally.
•   A superb addition to your C.V
•   Opportunity for significant, high profile exposure for your work.
•   A perfect location to send perspective employers to review your work
•   We will provide a written reference to anyone who works with us over a year and provides a substantial amount of new stories.
•   Opportunity to experience some of the fantastic things happening in London everyday, free!

Despite having very low budgets, we can pay up to £500 per month for the right person, however, there can also be significant bonuses available.

Please email if you have any questions, editor@vlenterprises.co.uk
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 08:15:19 AM by callumm20 »

wendling

Re: www.london.com opportunities
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 10:37:18 AM »
Another 'offer' for people to give up their time and work for free.

callumm20

• Email
Re: www.london.com opportunities
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 10:43:22 AM »
I look at it as an opportunity to showcase talent and to experience some of the fantastic things happening in London for free.

It may not be right for everybody.

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 10:49:06 AM by callumm20 »

Magnolia

Re: www.london.com paid opportunities
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 01:52:10 PM »
It really doesn't bode well that the subject title of this thread is "www.london.com paid opportunities" - but about a third of the way through there's an admission that's untrue and the "opportunities" are unpaid.

If you're going to mislead people, lie to them basically, even in an initial job ad, say something in a subject title that's untrue in order to entice people to click on a thread and read it, then you're going to find it hard to recruit decent people.

The whole thing just screams shoddy, unethical business practices and exploitation.

callumm20

• Email
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 08:50:59 AM »
I am certainly not looking to exploit anyone. This is a new business with very little budget available. We are all working together for mutual benefit. In no way is this shoddy or exploitative. My site gives full credit to anyone writing any articles, gives them the opportunity to state that they "work" for london.com (which, surely, can only help on any CV).

As I say, this is an opportunity for proactive people. Our business is predicated on delivering new, topical editorial linked to the tourism industry in London. Therefore, as the business grows and develops so will the need for part-time/ full-time editorial support. I would be much more likely to support someone who, like me, has shown dedication and commitment over recruiting someone new.

As I say, I appreciate this isn't for everyone but I would also appreciate it if comments about being "shoddy" and "exploitative" were actually placed knowing the full facts. Isn't that what journalism is about????

wendling

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 07:44:38 AM »
You clearly stated in the subject line 'paid opportunities' - but that's just not true.
What is true is that sites like this are a dime a dozen these days and people can make up their own minds as to whether it's worth working for free. It would have been an idea to consult a few journalists before launching.

Ebrar

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 11:05:17 PM »
Callumm,

I know few writers who will be interested in writing for your site I will ask them to get in touch with you.

Best of luck with your site

Ebrar

callumm20

• Email
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 09:48:07 AM »
Thanks Ebrar, I appreciate it. Now that we're up and running, we can now afford to pay a small "salary/ expenses" of up to £500 per month. I know its not much but its a start.

Once again, many thanks,

Callum

ancatoma

• Email
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 05:35:04 PM »
Hi,

I sent an email to editor@vlenterprises.co.uk and jobs@london.com with my cv and asked details about a collaboration with london.com. Don't know if you didn't like me or didn't get my email, but I would've appreciated an answer... Any other address I should try? Is this still available?

Cheers,

Anca