Author Topic: Interview recording  (Read 1491 times)

Chris76

Interview recording
« on: January 21, 2013, 07:07:33 AM »
I plan to conduct several interviews and would like to buy some (not too expensive) recording equipment.

What would you suggest?

Greg E.

Re: Interview recording
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 07:27:43 AM »
I would suggest two low-cost and one "mid-cost" solutions for interview recording (I skip the high-cost variant which would require an external microphone).

Low-cost: a) If you own an Apple iPhone, the App "iSaidWhat?!" not only records with a good quality but also has a very effective audio cutting tool. In my opinion better than the "Hindenburg Field Recorder" or the "FiRe 2 Field Recorder".

b) If you own a Samsung, HTC, Sony, ... smartphone with Google Android then I would recommend the App "Field Recorder" which has an interview preset that turnes the screen upside down so that the internal microphone points to your interlocutor.

Mid-cost: While the low-cost variants are far below 10$, this variant is 200$ but still fair enough I would say: The Field Recorder "Zoom H2". It has switchable microphone directional characteristics and surround recording, very useful if you have loud background noise to focus to the interlocutors voice.

BTW: All three options produce material which is broadcast-ready after post-processing.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 07:55:34 AM by Greg E. »

AndyTurner

Re: Interview recording
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 11:57:38 AM »

Low-cost: a) If you own an Apple iPhone, the App "iSaidWhat?!" not only records with a good quality but also has a very effective audio cutting tool. In my opinion better than the "Hindenburg Field Recorder" or the "FiRe 2 Field Recorder".

I second this recommendation. iSaidWhat?! despite the silly name is great.