Author Topic: Degree for Journalism  (Read 1552 times)

JD1982

Degree for Journalism
« on: November 06, 2012, 06:48:37 PM »
Hi All,

After striking out with my last thread, I have revised my inquiry.

I had decided to apply to university next year, irrespective of my newfound interest in Journalism. However it is definitely something I would like to pursue, either out of sheer interest or as a career. With this in mind I was hoping to gain some input regarding degree choices.

I am yet to finalise my subject choices, but I am leaning towards a combined degree of either two languages or a language with Journalism. I realise that the Journalism degree is not the be all and end all, or even particularly sought after, but I thought it might be a good way to start learning about the trade. One issue I've found is that none of the NCTJ accredited degrees can be combined, but could I not just do the NCTJ diploma after graduating?

Really I am just looking for any opinions; I have posted a similar thread in the Student Rooms forum, but would greatly appreciate any advice or opinion given.

Thanks for reading.

webitor

Re: Degree for Journalism
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 02:50:59 PM »
Do a degree in a non-journalism subject that you think you could make a proper career out of, and bolt on the NCTJ through a short course once you finish. That way, when you're spending months firing off job applications and praying for a managing editor to ring you back, you'll at least have some real-world skills to earn a crust with.