Lister, who has been at the Times for eight years, moves from his current role as assistant news editor and will now be responsible for health related stories for both the print and online editions.
Prior to this he was a health correspondent, a Scotland correspondent and a general news reporter for the national newspaper.
"Do not sensationalise," advised Lister to aspiring journalists. "Keeping cod science out of the media is as important as getting good stories in."
Free daily newsletter
- 5 tips for engaging online video from The Times and WSJ
- Culture, collaboration and communication: Digital development at The Times and Sunday Times
- The Times 'moving towards profit' since paywall launch
- 5 ways newsrooms used Vine in its first year
- Community managers share tips for engaging audiences