Lister, who has been at the Times for eight years, moves from his current role as assistant news editor and will now be responsible for health related stories for both the print and online editions.
Prior to this he was a health correspondent, a Scotland correspondent and a general news reporter for the national newspaper.
"Do not sensationalise," advised Lister to aspiring journalists. "Keeping cod science out of the media is as important as getting good stories in."
Free daily newsletter
- #DMS13: 84% of The Times digital page views on tablets
- Sunday Times iPad edition tops 100k unique users per issue
- The Times launches 'experimental Tumblr page' for Opinion
- Sir Harold: 'Fatal miscalculation' over Murdoch's 1981 bid
- Sir Harold on leaving the Times: I was 'disgusted, dismayed and demoralised'