We need an experienced and highly capable B2B journalist to take the legal industry's business monthly to the next level.
This role would suit a superb B2B reporter/feature writer who's done some section editing/editing work or can prove their ability to do it, or a section editor who's looking for a step up to running a B2B title.
Duties and requirements
Take on the day to day running of Briefing, LSN's flagship legal business title, planning and creating content, booking photographers, writing editorial and advertorial, adding and maintaining Briefing content online, layout and sub-editing and proofing, assisting in production of the magazine all the way to print. You will also work on LSN's newly launched monthly title for SME law firms, Legal Practice Management magazine.
- Create independent editorial (interviews, features, analysis) for Briefing and for other LSN publishing channels
- Work with the head of content on client content (case studies, analysis articles) for Briefing and other LSN channels
- Lay out/sub-edit/proof magazine content
- Represent Briefing at LSN events and external events and stand in for the editor as required
- Produce coverage of LSN's conferences for Briefing and other LSN channels
- Write a regular blog as part of LSN's blog channel and work with the web content staffer to manage and expand LSN's blogger community
- Become involved with and a leader of our strong social media engagement across multiple LinkedIn groups and on Twitter, Facebook etc by posting content, moderating and encouraging replies
- Work with other members of the editorial staff to create compelling reports/analysis based on research carried out by LSN and partners
- Produce, with the head of content, multimedia (audio, video) content for lsn.co.uk and other channels
- At least two years experience as a reporter/features writer in trade publishing
- Excellent writing, interviewing and editing skills
- A knowledge or understanding of the legal industry, or experience covering professional services or similar business areas
- Excellent attention to detail
- Good intuition, keen to use initiative
- Ability to write fluidly and with flair and concision
- Great sub-editing skills and English language
- An understanding of the specific needs of business publishing
- Highly IT literate - technophobes need not apply
- Experience at commissioning/section editor level
- Experience writing customer content, such as case studies
- Some form of external or internal editorial training in writing/editing, media law and publishing process
- Online/digital writing training/experience
- Layout skills (InDesign)
- Experience/training in website CMS use
- Basic image manipulation skills (Photoshop, Fireworks or similar)
- Multimedia production experience (podcast/vodcast/OB)
- Writing for SEO training/experience
There is a lot of scope for advancement at LSN for the right person - Briefing has been going for four years and now needs a standalone editor. We want the right candidate to demonstrate that they can be Briefing's editor within a year of starting. If they can, we will make it happen.
In return, we demand that people who work for LSN be self-starting, initiative-rich, "I'll do that!" people. To succeed with us, all it takes is natural brilliance, the ability to read people's minds, a little client-facing nous and the will to do stuff really, really well. The last bit's the most important...
LSN is a small business and we all wear a lot of hats (which gets quite hot). LSN has a sizeable thumb in a client relationship pie, so there's no room in the business for someone who hates advertisers and clients/talk of filthy lucre.
However, LSN does not compromise editorial for clients and advertisers - in fact, we believe we have the only magazines around that don't do churnalism, that keep vested interests and PR people out of editorial, and that don't hoodwink our readers with advertorial that is indistinguishable from editorial copy.
Our magazines deliver editorial integrity and fantastic client/advertorial value. We have done very well doing that up to now. We are not like our competition, and we are determined to stay that way.
LSN is a B2B online media, magazine publishing and conferences/events business based in Richmond, Surrey, focusing on the legal business services audience - ie those employed by law firms/legal services companies not generally engaged in providing frontline legal services, such as those involved in finance, HR, IT, marketing and BD, knowledge management, general management/operations and risk/compliance, facilities etc.
LSN operates a website, curates several social media groups/communities with thousands of members, publishes weekly email newsletters, a print/digital monthly B2B magazine and research, reports and much more.
Briefing, our magazine (back issues at bottom of page):
How to apply
Apply with CV and short covering letter explaining why you're our next great hire to:
Rupert Collins-White, head of content and community, LSN
firstname.lastname@example.org or please click the "apply online" button below
0870 112 5058
Subscribe to our daily (Mon-Fri) email job alerts to get more jobs like this and/or follow @journalism_jobs on Twitter.