Locations: London & Nottingham
Newzulu.co.uk is a revolutionary, crowd-sourced news wire service, based primarily on freelance journalism, as well as eyewitness and social content from around the globe. We verify stories from over 100,000 contributors in 150 countries.
Newzulu Ltd. is funded by some of the world’s leading media organisations, is expanding rapidly across the globe, and works in close partnership with the most prestigious names in international journalism.
We are opening brand new, state of the art offices in London and Nottingham — and recruiting editors in both cities. These are exciting positions that will likely involve international travel and offer good opportunities for promotion.
You will head the outreach and cultivation of a thriving community of news contributors in the UK and Ireland. You will have news or picture desk experience, either on a leading regional paper, a fastmoving website, or a multimedia press agency. You are a highly motivated, young multimedia journalist looking to take the next step in your career.
Your primary responsibilities will be to:
- Fact-check and verify to the highest journalistic standards incoming story submissions from contributors.
- Repackage stories for our wire partners and media clients.
- Manage the dynamic UK community of Newzulu contributors (Newzulu.co.uk) and expand it exponentially.
- Establish Newzulu as the UK’s premier freelance journalism platform.
Daily tasks and desired qualities include, but are not limited to:
- Editorial and strategic management of the Newzulu.co.uk site as well as Newzulu Wire
- Strong editorial skills: Reviewing, validating and publishing contributions (photos, videos and articles) on-the-fly, identifying and promoting the most newsworthy stories of the day
- Highly connected to the daily and long-term news agenda in the UK/Ireland and reactiveness to news stories as they break/unfold; issuing “Newscalls” to contributors and finding new potential contributors
- Collaborate with the media sales team of our partner newswires — in particular PA in the UK — and the Newzulu Paris team to ensure that contributions are published as quickly as possible, distributed and sold on the broadest possible basis in the UK and abroad
- Management of a creative and buzz-worthy social media presence
- Be a model Newzulu contributor by submitting interesting and well-produced stories on a regular basis
- Impeccable English spelling and grammar. Bilingual journalists who speak Hindi, Urdu, French or Arabic would be particularly welcome
The candidate must have a sharp news sense and be able to sniff out good stories from a mile away. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are a must. You must be meticulous about your work. A background in visual journalism is a big plus.
We’d like to hear from candidates with a proven track record of excellence in managing contributors and working under pressure and have rockstar social media community management skills.
How to apply
Send us your CV and letter of motivation to firstname.lastname@example.org or click the "apply online" buttob below — please specify if you are applying for NEWZULU NOTTINGHAM OR LONDON EDITOR on the subject line.
Subscribe to our daily (Mon-Fri) email job alerts to get more jobs like this and/or follow @journalism_jobs on Twitter.