Rex Features, the leading independent photographic press agency, is looking for a member of staff for the REX Editorial department.
This is an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic and talented journalist looking to start their journalistic career in a busy news department.
The main functions of the role are to write stories about quirky/unusual topics for the national press and prepare pictures for syndication at the direction of the Head of REX Editorial, as well as fulfilling any ad-hoc requests to assist the team.
The successful candidate should be comfortable creating sparkling copy about a diverse range of subjects. You could be writing about a driveable truck made of ice, a set of jaw-dropping wildlife photography, or art made from trash – all in one morning.
The role will also require you to work with images (basic Photoshop experience is preferred but not essential), control the social networking sites and support the department’s function in bringing the best photographic stories to the World’s press.
Duties will include:
- Processing stories and following story leads at the direction of Head of REX Editorial
- Using Photoshop, editing, registering and captioning images on in-house system
- Sourcing, researching and writing your own stories
- Sending image and story packages to publication clients and agents
- Creating feature alerts for clients and agents
- Liaising with the sales team to sell picture and word packages
- Maintaining the department’s social-networking sites (Facebook, Twitter etc.)
- Collating the department’s daily online publications
- Carrying out ad hoc admin duties
Skills/Knowledge and Experience Requirements
To be considered for this role you’ll need to:
- Have NCTJ qualifications or experience of writing for a publication or a press agency
- Have experience of writing publication standard copy to deadline
- Be computer literate with good experience in using Microsoft Office. Photo-editing software skills would be an advantage
- Ability to source high quality photographs with commercial value
- Ability to write sparkling text to sell picture-based stories
- Have a can-do approach to your work
- Have excellent communication skills
- Be able to demonstrate excellent time management and prioritisation skills
- Be able to demonstrate strong attention to detail
NB: Candidates are encouraged to visit the ‘Features’ page on the Rex Features website to see what material the REX Editorial department handles.
How to apply
If you think that the above description matches the type of role that you are looking for as well as your skills and experience then please send your CV and covering letter and salary details to email@example.com.
Subscribe to our daily (Mon-Fri) email job alerts to get more jobs like this and/or follow @journalism_jobs on Twitter.