In the five years since it was founded, The Local in Germany has given an insight into Europe’s most powerful country to an audience in Germany and around the world, which now numbers 600,000 monthly unique visitors.
You will work closely with your country editor to take this to a new level, finding innovative ways to report the daily news in Germany in a way that connects with our unique audience.
You will also be part of a young and dynamic team spread over seven European countries, reaching a monthly audience of more than 4 million unique visitors. Join them to help change the way news is reported across the continent and exploit the web to its full potential.
Start date: late April.
What we expect from you:
• An exceptional level of written and spoken English (native speaker or equivalent).
• Excellent German skills.
• The ability to write clear, concise and engaging news stories and features.
• Experience of translating from German to English and an ability to turn flowing German prose into equally flowing English prose.
• At least one year’s experience in an editorial role.
• A knowledge of journalistic ethics and good practice.
• A good knowledge of German society, politics and institutions.
• Curiosity; a desire to lift the lid on major issues affecting society.
• Flexibility; the ability to work some unsocial hours as needed, sometimes at short notice.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• An active and incisive approach to social media.
• Familiarity with blogging, online publishing, sound recording and photo editing are an advantage.
• A knowledge of major languages other than English and German (particularly French, Italian, Spanish or a Scandinavian language) would be useful.
Making a commitment to our team will give you the chance to pursue an exciting, inter- national journalism career. The job is full time. Pay competitive.
How to apply
If you think you have what it takes, send your CV and a brief introduction (in English) by March 14th to our managing editor, James Savage firstname.lastname@example.org or please click the "apply online" button below
The Local is an English-language online news network, with seven sites in five countries used by more than four million people each month. With an entertaining blend of daily news, features and communities, our sites have become essential reading for foreign professionals.
Subscribe to our daily (Mon-Fri) email job alerts to get more jobs like this and/or follow @journalism_jobs on Twitter.