Manage vacancy postings, settings and users, and purchase a jobs bundle
Using a mobile phone for reporting - 1 day training course
Course tutor: Guy Degen
Venue: The Hubworking Centre, London EC2M
Number of places: 8
Cost: £250 + VAT
The course is aimed at journalists and media professionals seeking to develop their skills to produce and file multimedia content using smartphones such as Android phones, Blackberry or iPhones.
The course will cover:
- camera, video and audio functions/settings in mobile phones
- essential kit for reporting with a mobile phone
- social media apps and blogs suited to mobile reporting
- free and low cost mobile phone apps for producing content
- practical field reporting exercises and workflows
- tips and tricks of using a mobile phone for reporting
- how to set up your mobile phone for field reporting
- how to plan and produce multimedia content with a mobile phone
- how to include mobile phone content in your social media streams and reporting workflow
- how to use apps useful for mobile reporting
- how to stream live video from a mobile phone
- how to produce better video and images with a mobile phone
- smartphone (when confirming your course booking please let us know what is the make and model of your smartphone)
- headphones that fit your mobile phone
- phone charger
- any cables that connect your mobile phone to a computer
- extra mobile phone battery or portable power charger
- portable WIFI hotspot (eg MiFi)
- tripod for mobile phone
Please make sure your smartphone's web browser and email application are functioning.
Once your course booking is confirmed, the trainer will contact you with a list of suggested social media and media sharing accounts you should open and mobile applications you should install on your phone.
Depending on what phone you have these applications are likely to include:
About Guy Degen
Guy Degen is a freelance journalist and lives in Germany. He travels widely producing video and multimedia stories for international broadcasters.
Guy is also regularly commissioned by UN agencies as a videographer to document development projects around the world.
In 2010 Guy filmed an independent documentary examining the plight of Bangladeshi migrant workers in Iraq.
Guy also mentors and trains journalists through international media development agencies including IREX Europe and the Deutsche Welle Akademie.
The BBC College of Journalism produced a video guide in its citizen journalism skills series showing how Guy uses a mobile phone for producing multimedia content.
Guy is a contributing editor of Deutsche Welle Akademie's Africa media development blog and also blogs about his travels for the Frontline Club. You can follow Guy on Twitter: @fieldreports.
Search and save jobs, upload your CVs, manage applications online