Jamiroquai percussionist Sola Akingbola launches live project
Début single from Sola’s live project Critical Mass to be released on 3rd March through iTunes, Spotify, Amazon, Deezer
Jamiroquai percussionist Sola Akingbola is to take centre stage with the release of a début single from his new live project Critical Mass.
The single - titled Generation Vex - will be released through Hip Sync Records on 3rd March ahead of a planned EP launch by Critical Mass in April.
Generation Vex mixes twisted guitars riffs with explosive beats in a contemporary Afro-UK sound that pounds with a futuristic edge. The song melds stylistic and tempo shifts, reflecting the diverse influences brought to the group by its members and the discordant times in which we live.
Cuban drummer Michel Castellanos and English percussionist Will Fry play alongside Jeremiah Olaleye, on bass, and Sola Akingbola, on lead vocals and percussion.
The single was written - by Sola Akingbola and social anthropologist Gillian Evans - as a reaction to the revolutionary undercurrents and periods of mass defiance that have characterised the beginning of the 21st Century.
"We wanted to delve into our separate musical cultures and bring them all together on this single," said Sola Akingbola.
"But we didn’t just want it to be a fusion of styles, we wanted to bring our individual influences and make something fresh and unique, that pulls us together into something new and speaks to people about the way we live now.
"By harnessing those different styles and bringing them into a single sound we want to reflect the schizophrenic way we live now, where thousands of aggravated voices can cry out all at once. Those voices may speak in many languages, but they’re all expressing the same thing.
"That’s what we hope our project does. We hope we’ve created something people will really connect with."
Notes to editors:
1. Sola Akingbola has been the percussionist with Jamiroquai for 18 years
2. Private downloads of Generation Vex will be available via Sound Cloud
3. Marco Sandeman, of Irregular Films, directed the Generation Vex video
4. Sola Akingbola is available for interviews via Hip Sync Records
Artist: Critical Mass
Single title: Generation Vex
Release date: 3rd March 2014
Label: Hip Sync Records
Youtube video: http://youtu.be/Qx952cF2gao
- Contact Name:
- Sola Akingbola
- HipSync Records
- Contact Email:
- click to reveal e-mail
- Contact Phone:
- Company Website:
- More Details:
Related press releases
- Do you love free bets? We certainly do!
- Smart Live Gaming partnered with Prof. Ellis Cashmore to feature UK citizens’ betting behaviour
- Calling all landlords and landladies, nightclub owners and event planners! Make sure YOUR next theme night is the one everybody is talking about!
- alphaTALK, voip providers UK, create alliance with City of Colours Festival
- HBAA collaborates with Speakers Corner for 2014 Annual Forum