Manage vacancy postings, settings and users, and purchase a jobs bundle
Train the trainerMany journalists recognise that offering training courses can be a useful way to boost income and raise profile, with courses on everything from media training to PR writing skills to courses on new skills for other journalists.
Running a training course isn't just a case of standing up and talking at a few slides, however. This one-day workshop introduces you to the skills necessary to design, run and assess training courses.
Tutor: Steve Bustin
Date: 5 April 2013
Venue: Friends Meeting House, Euston, NW1 2BJ
Number of places: 10 max
Cost: £185 (+VAT)
The day will be split into two sessions. The morning session will look at the theory and practice of providing a supportive and inspiring learning experience:
- Setting objectives and expectations
- Building a rapport and getting 'buy-in' from delegates
- Understanding your role as a trainer
- Understanding the different ways people learn
- Using questions and feedback to aid learning
- Using exercises and group work to aid learning
- How to check delegates have learned what you want them to learn.
- Planning and structuring a training course
- Using visual aids and A/V equipment, handouts and workbooks
- Making training interactive, not a lecture
- Avoiding death by Powerpoint
- Dealing with very loud or very quiet delegates
- Maintaining energy and attention
- The importance of getting honest feedback on your training course and on your 'performance' as a trainer.
- Be able to design and run a training course
- Understand the different ways of learning and the need to cater to all of them
- Know how to use a range of training tools to keep courses engaging and effective
- Know how to use your skills to be an effective trainer who is in demand.
About Steve BustinSteve Bustin has been a freelance journalist for 10 years, following seven years at the BBC.
Alongside his writing work, Steve runs a successful PR consultancy and training business (and keeps his editors happy) and has even performed as a stand-up comic.
Steve runs courses including media training, PR skills for SMEs and presentation skills for a range of businesses and other organisations including University of Brighton, The Workers' Educational Association, various government agencies and a number of charities and campaign groups.
Search and save jobs, upload your CVs, manage applications online