Course requirements: Participants are expected to already be able to use a number of spreadsheet techniques such as pivot tables, calculating averages, counts and sums.
This course will cover:
- Beyond average: Getting savvy with statistics
- More advanced spreadsheet techniques
- Making more of maps
- Interactive visualisations
- How to mashup data
- How to use pivot tables in spreadsheets
- How to tidy unruly data with Google Refine
- Bringing a data story to life – visualisation, case studies and personalisation
About Paul BradshawPaul Bradshaw divides his time between being a visiting professor at City University, London, course leader for the MA in Online Journalism at Birmingham City University, and a freelance trainer, speaker and writer. His background is in magazine editing and editorial website management and he has contributed to several books about the internet and journalism.
In 2009 Paul founded Help Me Investigate – a platform for crowdsourcing investigative journalism. The site was shortlisted for Multimedia Publisher of the Year in the 2010 NUJ Regional Media Awards, and won Best Investigation at the Talk About Local awards 2010.