Course requirements: No previous data journalism experience necessary but basic Excel skills are a must in order to sign up.
This course will cover:
- The basics of data files and formats
- Sources of data
- How to collect your own data
- Free and low-cost tools to analyse and visualise data
- Editorial planning for data
- How to design news features with data in mind
- How to extract data from PDFs
- How to use Google Docs for data collection
- How to visualise data, including charts, graphs and maps
This course takes takes place in an IT suite
About Paul BradshawPaul Bradshaw divides his time between being a visiting professor at City University, London, course leader for the MA in Online Journalism at Birmingham City University, and a freelance trainer, speaker and writer.
His background is in magazine editing and editorial website management and he has contributed to several books about the internet and journalism.
In 2009 Paul founded Help Me Investigate – a platform for crowdsourcing investigative journalism. The site was shortlisted for Multimedia Publisher of the Year in the 2010 NUJ Regional Media Awards, and won Best Investigation at the Talk About Local awards 2010.