Going freelance after enjoying the financial comfort and security of a full-time job can be daunting, but there are many benefits to going it alone.
Before you make the transition, check out this article from Kathryn McLamb at PopSugar, who shares five lessons she's learned as a full-time freelancer.
She explains that hustling to get work takes more than just writing skills, as no matter what type of freelancer you become, "you're essentially starting your own business the moment you become self-employed".
Structure and balance, she explains, will become your best friends, because the freelance life isn't as glamorous as it seems.
Free daily newsletter
- 'If you want to do a story, there's nothing that can stop you': Behind the award-winning investigation into India's skin trade
- Redesigning the journalistic economy as if starting from scratch
- Tip: Take note of these methods to get started as a freelance writer
- Advice from 24 news organisations to help you tailor your story pitches
- Tip: Remember this advice for writing strong headlines for social media