His new position will involve executing a pan-European product strategy as well as market and partnership development.
Previously Mr Shepherd worked as a journalist writing about the film and television industry. In 1998 he joined Yahoo! UK & Ireland where he spent three years as production director. He then went on to work for the Guardian, initially as chief producer and most recently as deputy director of digital publishing.
He wrote on his blog: "To say that I’m excited would be an understatement. From March 13th I’m back in the Y! fold after a five-year absence, responsible for the news, finance and sport platforms across Europe, working with the fantastic and dedicated local teams in each territory to deliver the best, most complete offerings in all those verticals.
"It’s going to be an absolute blast."
Free daily newsletter
- Five lessons from the Guardian's membership strategy, three years on
- Newsrewired podcast: Memberships and alternative business models to support local democracy
- POLITICO Europe launches Pro Intelligence platform to empower reporting on EU policies
- Throwback Thursday: Relaunching for 'web 3.0' and expanding interactivity
- Reuters Institute report highlights UK readers' behaviours on desktop when news breaks, and the 3 news brands that come on top