MoneySavingExpert.com is the UK's biggest consumer website, with about 16 million users a month. The site's dedicated to cutting your bills and fighting your corner with journalistic research, cutting-edge tools and a massive community – all focused on finding deals, saving cash and campaigning for financial justice.
The average person in the UK can give themselves the equivalent of a 25% pay rise by being an active, savvy consumer and shifting to the very best deals.
Why Join the News and Features Team?
The News and Features team covers two key areas of MoneySavingExpert.com’s content – news stories and investigations across a wide range of personal finance and consumer topics, plus in-depth features guides on such key topics as consumer rights, travel, motoring, shopping and more. It also runs the MoneySavingExpert.com homepage.
Why Our Role?
The Assistant Editor (News and Features) has a key role at the heart of the team. We’re looking for a talented, hungry and experienced journalist or editor to help drive the site’s news and features content.
Reporting to the News and Features Editor, you’ll be editing news stories, investigations and blogs on a wide range of personal finance and consumer topics, covering everything from banking and energy to travel and shopping. You’ll also be working on in-depth guides that are part of our ‘features’ vertical – so travel and transport, consumer rights, shopping and much more.
A big part of your job will be copy-editing to a very high standard, ensuring all our content can be fully understood by readers and is in line with MSE’s style, as well as structured in an engaging and easily-navigable way.
As well as being a top-notch journalist who can explain complicated subjects in an easy-to-read manner, you’ll have an analytical mind and meticulous attention to detail to ensure every word you publish is absolutely spot-on, so our 16 million unique users a month always get accurate and timely information.
You’ll also need an excellent news sense, experience handling breaking news and the ability to juggle and manage lots of competing priorities.
We are keen to increase the impact of our investigative journalism, so would particularly welcome applications from candidates with skills and experience in this area.
What will you be doing?
- Editing news stories and blogs, and working on longer-term investigations
- Editing features guides and content for the weekly email
- Mentoring and helping develop writers
- Championing news within MSE and helping us break big stories which are picked up elsewhere
- Helping to oversee the MSE homepage
- Deputising for the News and Features Editor
What do you need to excel in this role?
- Substantial experience as a journalist, including experience editing
- A flair for writing and the ability to bring to life often-complex subjects
- A proven track record breaking big news stories
- Good understanding of online journalism, with some experience using analytics and social media
- Be a stickler for accuracy
- The ability to work to tight deadlines
- Strong time management/prioritisation skills
Nice to have:
- Knowledge of personal finance and consumer issues
- Experience in investigative journalism
- A proven track record in campaigning journalism
- Experience as a spokesperson on TV and radio
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position