The Week is one of Britain’s leading news weeklies, with a large and loyal readership of around 350,000. We now have an opportunity for an assistant editor to join our team.
As an assistant editor you will work with a small team to plan, write and edit the magazine, a 35-page digest of the week’s news – a summary of the best of the British and international media – from current affairs to arts and business, along with a range of lighter features such as interviews and gossip.We’re looking for someone who’s sharp and energetic and interested, who has a good feel for the most important stories of the week, and the best journalism covering them – and who can summarise all this in a succinct and entertaining way.
- Helping to shape the magazine’s editorial content each week, by reading a range of newspapers, websites, blogs, etc, and helping to pick the stories that we cover.
- Writing news stories, from the most serious to the most frivolous, in the house style.
- Editing: everything in the magazine is read and re-read for sense and accessibility.
- The main requirements are good writing skills and a strong interest in current affairs.
- We need someone who can get to the nub of complex issues, and the arguments surrounding them – who can write it all up elegantly and concisely, making it simple and witty but never simplistic or patronising.
- In principle, we are looking for someone with proven experience of working in journalism.
- In particular, a good knowledge of online journalism and the news side of social media would be helpful.
- However, we would consider candidates with a similar level of experience in any related field, who can demonstrate writing skills and a good working knowledge of the news.
At Dennis, we’re dedicated to creating brands that people want to work with, and a culture that people want to work in. We’re unique, and so are you. You’ll enjoy a host of benefits and perks when you join us, on top of a satisfying salary. And that’s not all:
- We’re award winning. You will be working across award-winning brands and in award-winning teams and joining a culture where innovation and success are encouraged.
- Our commitment. We’re very proud to support The Heart of England Forest; an exciting and ambitious charity aiming to plant and preserve the largest native broadleaf forest in England. Founded by our late chairman, Felix Dennis, every employee gets the chance to plant a tree in their name so you can feel part of their vision.
- We’re always thinking of you. You’ll have access to plenty of great benefits such as 28 days holiday, a contributory pension scheme and discounted gym membership.
- We recognise hard work. Have you always dreamed of taking time out of work to travel the world? You’ll be given the opportunity to take a 6 week paid sabbatical after five years service. And if you’re lucky enough to win our Employee of the Year Award you’ll be sent on a holiday of a lifetime to a destination that certainly has the ‘wow’ factor.
- We know how to have fun. Whether it’s swatting up for one of our pub quizzes, creating a costume for our famous fancy dress parties or taking part in a fitness challenge as part of our annual charity day - we can guarantee you will share the enjoyment of life at Dennis.
Being brilliantly different is part of our DNA – our success is built upon it. What makes you unique is what makes us unique and we’re proud to foster and promote an environment of inclusivity and a celebration of individuality. Dennis does not discriminate. We recruit purely based on your skills, talent and your potential. If you feel you are right for the role, we’d very much like to hear from you!
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position