Assistant Features Editor (E&T)
£25,000 to £27,000 per annum
Engineering & Technology (E&T) is an award-wining magazine with one of the highest circulations of any B2B magazines in the UK. Its print magazine, website and app cover subjects ranging from sustainable energy, HS2 and driverless cars to artificial intelligence, cybersecurity and the internet of things.
The IET is seeking an Assistant Features Editor to join the E&T team! Your role will be to write, edit and prepare articles for E&T magazine and its associated web sites. The role will be known internally as an ‘Assistant Technology Editor’.
The successful candidate will be an excellent writer with the confidence to get out in the industry to conduct interviews and find a good story for the E&T readers. You will have fantastic attention to detail and have a working knowledge of digital publishing and social media. Some experience in writing content and a keen interest in technology would be advantageous!
The ideal candidate will have a solid work ethic with the ability to work on their own initiative. You will be joining a friendly team, who work together and share ideas on writing content and E&T’s editorial production process. A willingness to learn is key!
Main Duties and Responsibilities (summary):
- To write, edit or otherwise prepare for publication articles, news and other material for issues of E&T, to predetermined schedule and page budget
- To assist in soliciting content for E&T
- To undertake travel to events for reporting purposes where necessary
- To work with designers, picture editor, news and features editors and other colleagues to source appropriate illustrative material and to help to produce attractive and efficient layouts for E&T and associated web sites
- To ensure adherence to the E&T values, pillars, style guide and templates
- Communication with the Managing Editor, other publishing colleagues and IET staff
- To assist in editorial and production processes where required
- To cover a ‘beat’ in E&T magazine’s specialist features
- To contribute to IET.TV reports, online news and other editorial to the E&T web site where required
- To deputise for the Features Editor in their absence
- Education to degree level, or equivalent
- Ability to understand complex material and to produce clear and accurate English, to the highest editorial standards, with meticulous attention to detail
- Interest in technology
- Track record in writing for an audience - print and/or online
- Good communication skills and planning to ensure a stream of material for future issues while ensuring that immediate issues are filled
- High level of computer literacy
- Good working knowledge of digital and social media platforms and the role they can play in reaching different audiences
- Enthusiasm, a strong work ethic and a desire to produce work that you and your colleagues are proud of
- Demonstration of good news sense and ability to identify news stories
- Reporting experience on trade or business publication, preferably a weekly newspaper
- Portfolio of news and features stories
- Ability to understand picture formats and know where to source appropriate photographs to illustrate stories
- Some experience of podcast recording and editing.
How to apply:
To proceed with your application please click the "Apply Online" button below
The IET is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position