Metro.co.uk is looking for a talented assistant lifestyle editor and feature writer to join the London team.
The successful candidate will be mixing original ideas and angles with sharp opinions and strong, quick coverage of the most important stories for a Metro.co.uk audience.
Applicants should be able to spot great features and have the writing style to make that story really affect an audience and travel across the web. You will also be tasked with leading projects and campaigns, as well as commissioning, curating and writing/filming/picturing the stories.
You will be able to provoke discussion with content, create original stories in a variety of forms and have a proven track record of being able to take inspiration from all corners of the internet before competitors know anything about it.
You will also have experience leading teams, desks and/or shifts in a current or previous role.
The ideal candidate will be writing/producing/filming/photographing/presenting/talking about a variety of topics; campaigning issues, mental health, fitness, sexual identity, gender equality, BAME issues, dating, food, travel, beauty, fashion and everything else that could be reasonably considered ‘lifestyle’.
Video production and editing experience is highly desirable for this office-based role.
- Knowing that, in a digital/social age, all sorts of stories can - and should - be told honestly, accurately and authentically
- Breaking stories that will set the agenda on any given topic of interest
- Building a ‘beat’ and contacts around a specific area of expertise and building a reputation as the industry leader in that field
- Working with the lifestyle editor, social media editor and other colleagues to create engaging content on Metro.co.uk, spotting the most interesting stories across all social platforms, media channels and anywhere/everywhere else
- Creating original stories as well as making sure trending stories are covered in an innovative and imaginative way
- Managing a team, commissioning freelancers and staff writers, sub-editing
- Help to build a strong Metro.co.uk voice across our features output, including the way content surfaces on our site as well as on social and search
- Using new formats and social platforms natively and understanding the many different ways they need to be handled to make best use of them
- Broad industry contacts and good relationships with agencies, influencers and communities
- Understanding of legal covenants such as the UK Editors’ Code of Practice, media law, copyright law and editorial guidelines in the UK and globally
The above list is not exhaustive and constantly evolving, based on the needs of the business. Out of hours availability and a high level of adaptability are essential.
How to apply:
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position