Associate Editor, Middle East oil price assessments
The Role: The Associate Editor for Middle East oil price assessments is responsible for day-to-day reporting on refined product markets in the Middle East. The editor in this position is responsible for every aspect of market reporting, including the collection and publication of primary market information, running an assessment process, assessing the value of a variety of refined products, reporting market-related news, writing commentary and analysis, contributing to methodology development and engaging with market sources.
The Impact: The editor in this role is spearheading Platts’ coverage of Middle East oil markets, and is responsible for helping to bring Platts’ reputation for providing transparent price assessments to the marketplace. By delivering the exceptional quality of coverage Platts is known for, the editor in this role will be helping Platts to grow, and helping the Middle East markets develop another valuable source of market data and insight.
The Career Opportunity: In this role, the person is a key member of the Asian oil content for our Middle East coverage. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to further develop a strong track record of achievement, onwards to continued success at the core of the Platts business.
What’s in it for you: The Associate Editor will have the opportunity to travel and work from our Singapore office for an extended period as part of the on boarding and training process.
The Team / The Business: You’ll work with the Singapore-based oil market reporting team and regional leaders across the business.
Your Skills: Deep and thorough understanding of Middle East oil markets, knowledge of trading strategies, an understanding of swaps and futures markets, written and verbal communication skills, analysis, presentation skills.
Our Hiring Manager says: “This is a key role in covering the dynamic and diverse regional oil markets in the Middle East. These are exciting times and the position offers the opportunity to be at the forefront of developing critical news and assessments.”
- Assess Middle Eastern refined products markets: The editor in this position assesses the value of a defined set of refined product markets, accurately and fully in line with our rigorous and well-known methodology. The editor will survey market participants (refiners, traders and dealers) throughout the day; publish price updates through the day as heards, especially all information that might be used in assessing value; run an intensive one-hour or so window period from at the end of the assessment day; demonstrate a thorough understanding of Platts' methodology; be rigorous when using mathematics and excel spreadsheets; demonstrate ability to do a full set of assessments without the aid of a spreadsheet; and ensure our methodology for market is up to date.
- Write high-quality market commentaries: The editor is responsible for writing commentaries associated with his or her assessments. The commentaries are intended to help our readers better understand what is happening in the market, and to better understand how we have arrived at our assessments.
- Report news about the markets: The reporter is responsible for reporting news and analysis relating to his or her market. The news should help our readers understand issues in the marketplace, whether they are traders, analysts, government regulators, working in the supply chain, or in another walk of life. Relevant stories include news about supply and demand developments, government data, new developments in regulations, trader movement news, general analysis of price trends, and other relevant topics.
- Engage with the industry: The editor is responsible for engaging with market sources around the region, including those who are not regularly in the Market-on-Close assessment process.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree or similar level university degree
- Minimum of 1-3 years of market reporting or similar analytical role in refined oil product markets.
- Good knowledge of the Middle East and Asian oil markets
- Strong numeric skills with knowledge of crude oil and oil product pricing methodologies
- Excellent presentation and writing skills
- Self-driven, energetic and proactive
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, global, multi-cultural environment
- Fluency in Arabic is preferred, but not mandatory
How to apply:
To proceed with your application please click the "Apply Online" button below
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position