The sub-editor is an integral part of the editorial team. In this role, you will work closely with our writers, editors, and medical reviewers to ensure that our content is grammatically correct, concise, and easy to understand.
You will copy edit original content targeting consumers, patients, and healthcare providers, develop questions for medical reviewers and writers, and incorporate reviewer comments in a fast-paced environment. You will also be responsible for ensuring that any technical information in our articles is accurate, readable, and useful to the average reader. You will also contribute input to help enhance and optimize information for consumer usability.
As a sub-editor, you will be part of a record-breaking team! We aim to create content that educates, inspires, and - most importantly - connects with people who want to improve their health and well-being. We work hard to create content that not only connects with our users but is also mindful of SEO. The result is content that consistently breaks traffic records!
What you will do:
- Edit clinical and lifestyle content for style, tone, and flow
- Correct grammar, punctuation, and formatting errors
- Conform content to in-house style, including evolving conscious language guidelines
- Review sources for quality and proper citation format
- Collaborate with editors and medical reviewers to resolve inaccuracies
- Perform quality control on published content
- Provide feedback to editors on quality of work
- Update in-house style guide and documentation
- Contribute to project work as assigned
What we are looking for:
- Bachelor's degree or higher in English, journalism, or related field
- At least two years of editorial experience
- Experience with health and wellness/lifestyle content
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Excellent understanding of AP style
- Hawk-like ability to catch errant punctuation and grammatical mistakes
- Astute sense of appropriate voice and tone
- Knack for making content flow
- Love of language
- Interest in trending health and wellness topics
- Strong skills in meeting deadlines and prioritising workload
- Proficiency with Google Suite and tracked changes in Microsoft Word
- Experience with a content management system
Medical News Today, a part of Healthline Media, is one of the top five health information sites in the US (per ComScore), and we are growing. Every month, more than 35 million people come to us for in-depth, clinical content and the latest news in medical research.
Using peer-reviewed studies and reputable sources, our immensely talented and curious editors and writers create more than 250 pieces of health content on a monthly basis.
Healthline.com is the fastest-growing health information brand, the #1 largest health site in the US (per comScore) and reaches more than 200 million people a month globally.
The business is high growth and solidly profitable, employing around 300 people in San Francisco, New York and the UK. We are a purpose-driven organisation with a vision to create a stronger, healthier world.
Healthline is a certified Great Place to Work and has been named to the Top 5 in Ad Age's Best Places to Work in 2019. Check out these links to learn more about what it is like to work at Healthline Media.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position