RT UK is looking for a London-based broadcast journalist to join its talented team in central London.This is a great opportunity for someone who wants to work on rolling news, helping to uncover hidden stories and presenting alternative perspectives to the mainstream media.
The successful candidate will have fantastic editorial judgment and will be passionate about news and current affairs. We are looking for someone who is familiar with RT’s brand and can demonstrate enthusiasm for our ‘Question More’ approach. We expect the broadcast journalist to have great communication and writing skills, and be able to work on their own and as part of a team.
He or she will thrive in a busy and pressured newsroom environment, be able to take on constructive criticism and use it to improve skills, and go above and beyond what is required of the role. The broadcast journalist will have a vast knowledge of politics, history and culture of the UK and the world; they will have confidence in using video to tell a story and be able spot great video content without being prompted.
- Writing scripts for hourly news bulletins
- Research, research, and research
- Editing video
- Working to extremely tight deadlines
- Being able to handle a number of stories in any given hour
- Responding quickly and efficiently to breaking news
- Commissioning graphics
- Finding creative ways of telling stories – and always being open to trying new things
- Preparing live interviews
- Being across all forms of newsgathering, staying on top of each story that is assigned
- Monitoring incoming news and video, alerting others of updates and breaking news
- Producing a visually creative and factually accurate news broadcast for our audiences across the UK
- Education to a degree level
- Experience in a fast-paced newsroom environment
- Native or fluent English, excellent spelling and grammar are a MUST
- Right to work in the UK
- Covering letter explaining why you are the perfect candidate
- A short pitch for a TV news story and why RT UK would be the perfect platform to cover it (Some questions to consider (but don’t let them limit you!) - What footage would we use? What graphics content would be involved? How will our coverage differ to that of other channels?)
- An up-to-date CV
RT UK is the British sister channel of RT International, beaming into homes across the United Kingdom with news and content specifically tailored to a UK audience. We seek to tell untold stories, report on the underreported and dig out the content so often missed by the mainstream media. We pride ourselves on our fresh approach to news delivery – a fast-paced but in-depth view into the world of UK news.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position