Reuters is looking for an exceptional newsroom leader to run its coverage of the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland.
With Britain set to get its fourth Prime Minister in six years just as the country faces a major cost-of-living squeeze and tries to rework the terms of its exit from the European Union, the colourful and consequential political story in Europe's second largest economy continues apace.
We are looking for someone who can produce agenda setting coverage of Britain as it tries to reshape its economy after Brexit and find a new footing on the global stage. That requires a journalist adept at managing fast-breaking economic, political and corporate news as well as a lively general news file spanning Britain’s royal family and international court cases.
The successful candidate will have a deep understanding of Reuters financial, media and consumer clients and will ensure that our news is delivered with speed and authority and in the most engaging formats. They will understand the value of both speed and deeper reporting, of news that moves markets and stories that overturn accepted thinking.
To be our bureau chief for the United Kingdom and Ireland, you will likely:
- Have exceptional news judgment. You will be able to break news and be ultra-competitive on complex, fast-moving breaking news even as you drive insightful initiative journalism.
- Have first class leadership skills and ability to set priorities in a large news gathering operation
- Be able to coordinate complex and fast-moving cross-border stories with colleagues across Reuters large global network.
- Have an eye for the visual elements of our lively file, working closely with TV/picture colleagues and fully exploiting graphics to make stories dynamic and memorable.
- Be calm under pressure and able to take decisions fast when faced with breaking news
- Have experience of managing and hiring large, diverse teams of journalists
Please note, the deadline for applications is Sunday 21 August 2022.
What is in it for you
At Reuters, our people are our greatest assets. Here are some of the benefits we offer for your personal and professional growth:
- Global career: As a global company, we can offer a truly international career and progression opportunities
- Learning and development: On the job learning and coaching. We also have a dedicated training team focused on the continuous development of our journalists
- Benefits: We offer competitive salary packages and market leading benefits including paid volunteering days
- Perks: Work alongside Pulitzer Prize-winning journalists and a team who provide unmatched, award-winning coverage of the world’s most important stories.
Reuters is the world’s largest multimedia news provider. Founded in 1851, it is committed to the Trust Principles of independence, integrity and freedom from bias. With unmatched coverage in over 16 languages, and reaching billions of people worldwide every day, Reuters provides trusted intelligence that powers humans and machines to make smart decisions. It supplies business, financial, national and international news to professionals via desktop terminals, the world's media organisations, industry events and directly to consumers.
Reuters: The Real World in Real Time
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position