ING’s purpose is ‘Empowering people to stay a step ahead in life and in business’. Every ING colleague is given the opportunity to contribute to that vision. We champion self-reliance and foster a collaborative and innovative culture.
The Orange Code is our global manifesto for how we stay true to our purpose and our tradition of reinvention and empowerment. It is made up of ING Values (we are honest; we are prudent; we are responsible) and ING Behaviours: (you take it on and make it happen; you help others to be successful; you are always a step ahead)
For us, success will only be achieved if we act with Integrity.
Some companies see diversity as a box to be ticked. We see it as fundamental to our success and we encourage a proper work/life balance. At ING, you will be judged on your performance in line with the Orange Code. And that’s a promise.
Main Duties and Responsibilities of Role:
ING is looking for a highly experienced business journalist to join its Global Research department, based in London. Our new website for general market analysis, ING.com/THINK, has just launched and is set to expand. You would primarily be responsible for editing content from economists and strategists from across the globe, turning it into arresting, intelligent articles. You must be able to demonstrate the ability to understand complex economic themes and market trends. We’re also big in behavioural economics, working out why people make the financial decisions they do, and you’ll play a role here too.
Speed is also essential as we want to inform our clients and customers and get our voice heard ahead of the competition. You will be fully conversant with various forms of social media and will be expected to react quickly to breaking news and comment by communicating through various channels.
Building and assuring the quality of the end product is a key aspect of the role. Editorial output must live up to high journalistic standards and ING’s Tone of Voice requirements. It must also be aligned with ING’s economic house view and adhere to all relevant rules, restrictions and regulations.
You must have at least seven years’ experience working in a busy newsroom. You need to be a self-starter, willing to learn and if you have video production experience, so much the better.
The Group Research team is a corporate-level support unit which provides economic and financial expertise to the Management Board Banking, ING’s business units and clients and a wider audience. It performs a broad array of thought leadership activities in the field of economic research, sustainability and innovation. The team is led by ING’s Group Chief Economist, Mark Cliffe.
Bachelor or post-graduate degree in economics, journalism or a communications field
- 7+ years of journalistic experience at a news agency, newspaper, with a focus on economic and financial subjects.
- Thorough experience in producing content for digital channels, social media and mobile devices.
- Editing experience in research areas such as economics, FX and commodities
- Video production experience
- Knowledge of regulations pertaining to investment research and marketing communications (e.g. FINRA and MiFID rules)
- Native English speaker combined with exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- An eye for detail and numeracy coupled with the ability to see the bigger picture at the same time
- Ability to explain complex facts in simple terms and visualise data in appealing ways
- An agile personality, energetic, creative, nimble, with a great sense of humour
- An ability to communicate well on an interpersonal level and to build strong and congenial working relationships with colleagues across the organisation.
- Thriving in fast-pace environments characterised by rapid change
- Desktop-Publishing and IT skills