Chicago is the preferred location for this role but other major cities in the U.S. Midwest will be considered.
Do you have a passion for digital storytelling? Ready to take on the challenge of driving breaking news and feature coverage in your patch? If so, this might be the role for you. Reuters Video News is looking for a talented cameraperson (level 1 journalist), for a temporary assignment based in Chicago.
As a cameraperson (level 1 journalist), at Reuters, you will deploy your strong shooting, field-reporting and editing background to succeed in one of the most fast-moving news patches in the world.
You will work closely with video, stills, and text colleagues on a daily basis and will be responsible for shooting, writing, planning, and covering news and feature stories while coordinating closely with our Los Angeles, Washington D.C. and New York news teams. You will need to be a proven self-starter with excellent communication skills, an unflappable temperament and an eye for great visual stories.
About the role:
As a cameraperson (level 1 journalist - temp), at Reuters you will:
- Produce, edit, write, and deliver compelling and creative video stories whilst covering live breaking news stories.
- Coordinate daily and planned news coverage whilst working closely with the LA, NY, and DC teams Work closely with multimedia and video packaging teams to produce comprehensive reporting.
- Respond quickly to major breaking news events, in a responsible manner
- Have a sharp eye for visual news elements and video storytelling.
- Represent television internally and externally, building a strong understanding of local and international clients.
- Ability to work long hours, some weekend shifts, often under extreme pressure and unsupervised
- Thorough understanding of television editorial technology and social media
You are a fit for the role of cameraperson (level 1 journalist - temp) if you have:
- Significant experience as a professional video journalist
- Exceptional camera skills using broadcast-quality video camera or DSLR
- A track record of working with multimedia and video packaging teams
- Experience in broadcast or agency television newsgathering and production
- Excellent skills in driving accuracy and speed while upholding Thomson Reuters editorial principles
- Understanding the needs of broadcast and digital clients, regionally and internationally
- Willingness to travel to breaking news stories, often at short notice
- Superior English writing skills
Please note: completed applications must be submitted by Sunday 3 March 2024. Early applications are encouraged.
This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement between Reuters and the NewsGuild of New York, CWA Local 31003, AFL-CIO.
What is in it for you?
At Reuters, our people are our greatest assets. Here are some of the benefits we offer for your personal and professional growth:
- Global career: As a global company, we can offer truly international career and progression opportunities
- Learning and development: On-the-job learning and coaching. We also have a dedicated training team focused on the continuous development of our journalists
- Benefits: We offer competitive salary packages and market-leading benefits including paid volunteering days
- Perks: Work alongside Pulitzer Prize-winning journalists and a team who provide unmatched, award-winning coverage of the world’s most important stories.
Reuters is the world’s largest multimedia news provider. Founded in 1851, it is committed to the Trust Principles of independence, integrity and freedom from bias. With unmatched coverage in over 16 languages, and reaching billions of people worldwide every day, Reuters provides trusted intelligence that powers humans and machines to make smart decisions. It supplies business, financial, national and international news to professionals via desktop terminals, the world's media organizations, industry events and directly to consumers. Reuters: The Real World in Real Time.
Thomson Reuters complies with local laws that require upfront disclosure of the expected pay range for a position. The location(s) for this role includes one or more of the following states: CA, CO, CT, IL, NV, TX, WA and/or remote. The base compensation range for the role in any of those locations is $39 - $70. The base compensation range in other locations may vary.
Do you want to be part of a team helping re-invent the way knowledge professionals work? How about a team that works every day to create a more transparent, just and inclusive future? At Thomson Reuters, we’ve been doing just that for almost 160 years. Our industry-leading products and services include highly specialized information-enabled software and tools for legal, tax, accounting and compliance professionals combined with the world’s most global news services – Reuters. We help these professionals do their jobs better, creating more time for them to focus on the things that matter most: advising, advocating, negotiating, governing and informing.
We are powered by the talents of 26,000 employees across more than 70 countries, where everyone has a chance to contribute and grow professionally in flexible work environments that celebrate diversity and inclusion. At a time when objectivity, accuracy, fairness and transparency are under attack, we consider it our duty to pursue them. Sound exciting? Join us and help shape the industries that move society forward.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, colour, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under applicable law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
We also make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and for sincerely held religious beliefs in accordance with applicable law.
Protect yourself from fraudulent job postings click here to know more.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found at https://thomsonreuters.com.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position