BuzzFeed is the world's leading tech-powered, diversified media company that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally through its cross-platform news and entertainment network. The company produces articles, lists, quizzes, videos, and original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world's largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News and HuffPost; an industry-leading affiliate business, strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Commerce; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed News is looking for a reporter to join our team covering celebrity news based in the UK.
As a team, we are deeply embedded in celebrity culture and passionate about the stars we cover. We are dedicated to finding original and compelling angles, innovating shareable headlines, packing stories with forensic levels of knowledge and content, and producing the most engaging showbiz news on the internet. We also cover almost exclusively US celebrities with global appeal, so knowledge of these stars is a must.
You should be a fellow celebrity-obsessive - heavily invested in the world's biggest and emerging stars, bursting with takes on their various dramas, and able to spot potential stories before they have broken. But most importantly, you should know how to convert this knowledge and passion into viral, agenda-setting daily reporting.
We believe in treating the stars we cover with respect and humanity, while also recognising the need to challenge their behavior. We do not shy away from reporting on tone-deaf comments, or flouting of Covid-19 guidelines, and instead aim to expose the power imbalances inherent in these actions.
However, we also understand the value of counter-programming - providing escapism with uplifting or distracting celebrity news that delights our audience. Whether we are unpacking the latest updates on Britney Spears' conservatorship with sensitivity, or diving into a dramatic and messy celebrity feud, analysing Kimye's divorce, or rejoicing in the reunion of Bennifer, our coverage is wide-ranging and varied. The ideal candidate should feel passionately about this style of reporting, and be able to turn their hand to any subject with ease.
We are looking for someone who has at least two years' experience covering celebrity news. You should be able to write legally sound copy and feel confident engaging with publicists. You should want to frame your work to compel your audience to share it, be able to optimize stories to maximize readership, and monitor data to inform future work. You should be able to file clear and accurate copy on deadline, and work collaboratively with reporters and editors.
You should also feel comfortable with, on occasion, accepting pitches or assigning stories from other reporters and offering basic edits in the absence of the celebrity and entertainment editor.
BuzzFeed News' celebrity reporting team is based in London, and we are primarily looking for someone based there so that the team is in the same time zone. That said, we will look at qualified candidates not in the UK, as long as you are willing to work UK hours.
- Scour the internet to find the most interesting and important celebrity news of the day that will compel our audience to read and share
- Innovate original angles that both drive traffic and set BuzzFeed News apart from the rest of the showbiz landscape
- Produce 1-2 highly-trafficked posts per day, in a variety of different formats - from breaking and timely news, to deep dives and explainers
- Monitor data and use traffic trends to inform our journalism
- Optimise your work to maximise its performance on search and social media
- On occasion, approve pitches or assign stories to other reporters and offer basic edits in the absence of the celebrity and entertainment editor
- Contribute ideas in coverage planning meetings, and work with the celebrity and entertainment editor to execute wider strategy
- A genuine passion for and deep knowledge about celebrity culture
- A strong understanding of the kinds of celebrities and stories that engage the BuzzFeed News audience specifically
- Strong news gathering instincts - a clear understanding of how to source the most compelling stories of the day, and an ability to find untapped stories that our competitors have not yet uncovered
- The ability to turn around tight, clean copy under time constraints
- A sound grasp of SEO and knowledge of optimizing headlines for different platforms
- A solid understanding of data, traffic, and how to monitor trends to inform future work
- An understanding of the legalities and ethics involved in celebrity reporting and an ability to communicate effectively with publicists
- Strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to work collaboratively with reporters and editors
- 2+ years experience in a professional online journalism role
Please apply with a CV, your social media handles, clips, and a brief cover letter that tells us more about you and your work.
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options
- A generous benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more
BuzzFeed is the world's leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position