TTG Media is looking for a news-hungry chief reporter to join our fast-paced news team in producing a weekly B2B magazine Travel Trade Gazette, and to contribute daily to our website ttgmedia.com.
The role will also involve representation at numerous events and conferences – both in the UK and abroad.
The ideal candidate will have a strong nose for news, a meticulous eye for detail and a hunger to beat the competition in securing exclusives.
Experience is a must – preferably from local news journalism or B2B media.
Key skills required:
- Strong sense of news awareness
- A meticulous eye for detail
- Ability to turn stories around for publication quickly and efficiently
- Experience and skills of working in digital channels, including use of content management systems
- An understanding of media law and how it relates to TTG Media
- A personable manner, with strong communication and organisational skills
- Team player, but one with a self-sufficient, self-motivated, proactive and organised attitude
- A broad understanding of the commercial aspects of B2B media, and a willingness to work closely with the commercial team when necessary
What you will do:
- Working closely with the news editor, the chief reporter will help set the news strategy and agenda for ttgmedia.com and TTG magazine.
- Where appropriate they will help to manage the news output across the TTG Media team, monitoring the progress of their stories; offering help and advice where necessary; nurturing talent; coaching in the basic skills of journalism.
- They will also help ensure that the magazine is leading the news agenda and is not being scooped by the competition. This will demand significant news gathering and relationship building skills.
- The chief reporter will be encouraged to deputise for the news editor, taking responsibility for editing raw copy before it is passed to the production team. He or she will be a conscientious and careful copy editor with a ferocious eye for detail. He or she will be responsible for ensuring that copy is accurate; has correct grammar; follows house style; is properly structured; and is “sold” to the reader in the most appropriate way.
- On a daily basis, the chief reporter will conceive, write and edit clean, concise, reader-relevant news stories and analysis for ttgmedia.com and TTG magazine
- Write for and contribute to other sections of the magazine and website when deemed appropriate (such as ttgluxury magazine and features)
- Proof pages
- Represent TTG Media at a significant number of external functions, evening events and meetings, and on possible overseas trips as and when deemed appropriate. Some conferences take place over weekends, for which time in lieu will be given.
- Build relationships with key industry individuals and with readers
How to apply:
Apply today to editor Sophie Griffiths and news editor Jennifer Morris by clicking the "Apply Online" button below.
About TTG Media
TTG Media Limited is a young, dynamic company formed in 2013 to take over a 60-year old power B2B media brand in the travel industry: TTG (Travel Trade Gazette).
Started as a four-page newspaper in 1953, TTG has evolved to become a three-pronged business moving confidently into 2016 on three platforms: print, digital and events, in the UK and via the TTG Worldwide network of international partners.
Still underpinned by a weekly print magazine, the business is also now powered by a fast-moving responsive website, ttgmedia.com, and a series of events including the new TTG Top 50 Travel Agencies, the TTG Travel Awards and the TTG on Tour nationwide series of travel agent roadshows.
It also maintains a series of exclusive partnerships with partners ranging from World Travel Market to the Institute of Travel & Tourism that have become vital to the brand, offering new opportunities for growth.
The brand has a reputation not only as a much-loved, authoritative voice of the industry, but as an innovative organiser of exciting events in London and beyond.
This role represents a fantastic challenge in one of the fastest-moving and most high profile B2B news sectors in the UK today, as part of a hugely committed and friendly team, at a genuinely exciting time for our trusted and engaging brand.
In 2017, ttgmedia.com was named Travel Trade Website of the Year at the Travel Media Awards, while members of the team have won various writing awards.
We are looking to recruit a Chief Reporter to help drive our news content in print and online, ensuring our news output is market-leading, engaging, accurate and fully in tune both with our travel industry audience, and the brand values and reputation of TTG.
Working closely with the News Editor, the Chief Reporter position is pivotal to the success of TTG in print and online. This is not a role for the faint hearted – but it is a role that can bring immense satisfaction, working with a fantastic team and giving this individual a genuine opportunity not only to make their mark, but to sear their reputation onto the face of this most exciting of UK industries.