We are Immediate
Immediate Media is the special interest content and platform company. We own and operate some of the best-loved brands in the UK including Radio Times, BBC Good Food and BBC History. And we only focus on special interest markets, engaging more than 82 million passionate consumers globally each month, offering them world-class content and innovative new products and services.
We sum up our mission in three words: content, passion and engagement. Our focus is to help our audiences get the most out of the things they love, whatever they spend their time and energy on. Our people are as passionate about their subjects as our consumers. We are focused on growth across our business are constantly looking for new and exciting ways to innovate.
We pride ourselves on our open, collaborative and dynamic culture which encourages people to thrive, and give their best whilst being supported, developed and nurtured. As we care about our people, our environment and the impact we make, we have an active Diversity & Inclusion network, comprehensive well-being programmes, and clear sustainability strategies.
For us, it is really important to connect with our people, particularly as we are all remote right now. So, we have developed a programme of events, workshops and webinars with a rich and diverse mix of content to appeal to everyone.
About the role
Radio Times are on the hunt to find a commissioning editor for their Factual TV content. As part of this role, you will report to and share the editorial management and direction of the factual features content in Radio Times with the features editor. You will be responsible for TV related documentary, news and natural history content in Radio Times, including commissioning freelance feature writers and staff writers. You will assist the features editor to oversee the progression of content to press stage, controlling the features budget, liaison with non-editorial departments within Immediate Media and outside as well as promoting the magazine within the industry including at events.
- Responsibility for developing original feature ideas that are topical, engage readers and become part of the national conversation.
- Securing exclusive access to content and stars.
- Commissioning written copy and photo shoots and maintaining good contacts with PRs and producers in the industry to meet demand.
- Editing copy to Radio Times style.
- Responsibility for conserving and developing the profile of the magazine within the market place and amongst PRs and advertisers, which requires the individuals in the team to maintain a positive industry profile.
- Maintain and develop specialist knowledge and contacts within the TV industry, in particular in the field of news, documentaries and factual programming.
- Liaise with programme PRs and producers to establish exclusive access to content and presenters for RT features.
- Develop features ideas based on upcoming programming and the news agenda in conjunction with the features editor and editors.
- Commission and write features to the highest standard.
- Arrange and manage photoshoots in consultation with the creative director.
- Manage the factual features content of the magazine in consultation with the features editor, both text, pictures and illustrations, to ensure it meets the required commercial standards of quality, accuracy, consistency of style, and legality.
- Check proof pages and liaise with production to ensure design, colour and accuracy are maintained.
- Maintain an awareness of competitors in the market, their coverage and the likely implications for the magazine, as well as initiating projects to continually develop the title.
- Attend functions and related events on behalf of the magazine and Immediate Media and be prepared to express a view on behalf of the magazine and be interviewed on broadcast or for the media as required. To liaise with key PRs in the industry and maintain the profile of magazine.
- Significant experience of working as a journalist for a consumer magazine of national standing or national newspaper, including writing and commissioning.
- Ability to recruit a wide range of freelance writers.
- Ability to provide a concise brief and direction for writers.
- Ability to think creatively and develop feature ideas.
- Ability to develop the skills of the editorial assistant.
- An understanding of the aims of the magazine, the target market and up-to-date knowledge of target interests.
- An in-depth knowledge and enthusiasm for magazine subject and empathy with style and standards of the title.
- Exceptional contacts within the broadcast industry.
We are committed to building a diverse group of talent with a broad range of backgrounds, skills and capabilities and will give full and fair consideration to all applicants.
We know that flexibility is key to success and our people work flexibly in many different ways, so if this is important to you please let us know.
As you apply, we will ask you to share some personal information which will help us understand how we are doing in our inclusion and diversity ambitions. We would really appreciate if you would take a few moments to complete this but if you would rather not that is fine too. Rest assured, we will treat your information confidentially.
People are at the heart of our business and creating a diverse and inclusive working environment is extremely important to us. Immediate is an equal opportunities employer. We will never treat anyone less favourably because of their sex, gender reassignment, pregnancy and maternity, marital/civil partnerships, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnic origin, age, religion or belief or disability. We are also committed to supporting applications from those who are returning to work following a career break, maternity leave or caring responsibilities.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position