heycar was born from a simple question: "How do we make buying a used car simple?" The answer? By bringing the best and most trusted dealerships across the UK closer to their customers to reinvent used car buying. We exist simply to provide people with the confidence that they will find a car they love, and that we can help dealers sell that perfect car.
We are a small but mighty team, growing at speed and building a culture that allows team members to feel challenged and empowered to make some serious changes.
We may have different backgrounds, industries and skills, but we are all driving towards the same goal: to disrupt the used car industry.
Having launched in August 2019, we are a brand of tomorrow at the very start of its journey. If you want to come along for the ride then read on…
In addition, you will also get to demonstrate your skills on HonestJohn.co.uk, the market-leading car buying advice site that was acquired by heycar in early 2020.
What you will do:
- Drive the news agenda: supporting the senior editor, you will ensure the delivery of the very best automotive news. Using editorial judgment and strong data research skills, you will report on the latest issues that are affecting drivers and car buyers in the UK.
- Be a team player: you will play a key liaison role in ensuring our news operation works in collaboration with our PR agency. Your stories will need to generate headlines in a wide range of outlets from national channels to niche websites. You will also work with our PR team to ensure your news makes a big impact across digital, print, radio and TV.
- Ambitious: you will lead complex news investigations and work with other departments to source the data you need to back up your key messages. You will not be afraid to step in front of a radio microphone to support your campaigns, either.
- Contribute ideas for content: it will not be 24/7 news, you will also have a key role in our editorial team. You will have lots of automotive content ideas for guides, tools and advice sections that will help and delight our users and readers.
- Be a consumer champion: You will also work on the award-winning HonestJohn.co.uk motoring website. You will be passionate about helping car buyers make the most informed decision when it comes to their next purchase and be prepared to make a stand when our readers are getting short-changed.
- Know your way around a CMS: you will be familiar with content management systems and be eager to get the best out of those we have at heycar to maximise the impact of your work.
- Have a good understanding of SEO: you will have a firm grasp of search engine optimisation and the techniques required to get the most out of your online content. You will also have hands-on experience when it comes to keywords, rankings and meta data.
- Be good at generating backlinks: you will be a proactive and passionate advocate in negotiating backlinks. Ideally, you will have your own contacts, relationships and networks to leverage too. You will understand how a good news campaign can generate links from third party sites.
What you will need:
- News journalism experience: you will be able to spot a good news story at twenty paces and will ideally have a minimum of five years' experience with a national website, magazine or newspaper. A good understanding of the automotive sector is preferable but not essential.
- Analytical thinking: you will need to report on what has and has not worked in the course of your work and will be comfortable using a range of tools and be confident enough to interpret and articulate what you are seeing to further enhance your content performance. But you won’t rely on the stats alone - you will also be able to bring real-world insight and experience.
- Drive and determination: you will be eager to make progress quickly and create hard-hitting news that will influence national headlines. We will expect you to communicate your ideas to our PR agency so they can amplify them to a wider audience.
- Passion: you will love crafting news stories. You will be flexible and able to adapt your writing style to match the respective tone and voice of HonestJohn.co.uk and heycar.
- Start-up attitude: a keen appetite to optimise, test, build and learn in a fast-paced but rewarding environment. You will have a flexibility that means you can fill in for others if they are away or help other members of the team when they need it.
- Communication skills: an ability to communicate metrics, strategies and success stories to key business stakeholders.
- Can-do attitude: hands-on and proactive, you will have a positive attitude and the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously. You will be super organised, too, which means you will have perfect time management skills.
What we will give you:
- Feedback: you will be joining more than just another startup - our team members are at the heart of everything we do; here we do not leave things unsaid, we encourage honest feedback.
- Energy: our best ideas come from unannounced white boarding sessions, but be ready to fail fast and often!
- A challenge: fast paced but not fraught. We are a start-up but scaling fast, so we need you to keep up, push back and question where you see fit.
- Fun: we provide a fully stocked kitchen and bar, table tennis, roof terrace, and epic socials, we have got you covered but we do advise table tennis lessons before joining!
- Compensation: we offer a competitive salary plus performance-based bonus.
- Benefits plus perks: with private medical insurance, learning and development opportunities and some serious swag, we will give you the extra boost.
If you are ready to work with a creative, high-performing group of people, who are empowered to do their job and challenge where necessary - we want to hear from you.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position