Commission, write and sub-edit first class content across BCS’s print and digital channels. Ensure the content team’s print publications run smoothly, to deadline and to budget as well as ensuring the consistency of quality, tone and accuracy across all text-based projects is maintained.
- Work with the Content Manager to implement the content strategy and support wider businesses imperatives and departments;
- Work as BCS’s lead sub-editor overseeing and ensuring BCS content is delivered of the highest quality, including: Checking and correcting text for grammar, spelling and consistency; Ensuring factual correctness and alignment with BCS’s objectives, interests, policies and values; Ensuring compliance with libel and copyright laws; Checking copy against style guide; Improving text’s readability where required;
- Ensure editorial projects run to deadline and schedule work with content manager to set deadlines and then enforce those deadlines;
- Monitor all print products’ progress against deadlines. Make interventions to ensure deadlines are hit;
- Own ITNOW’s (the BCS membership magazine) flat plan – ensure it is kept up-to-date;
- Manage projects through proofing and checking process;
- Ensure BCS member content and public content is uploaded via the CMS with suitable imagery;
- Image research in line with brand guidelines;
- Write and repurpose text-based content for publication through BCS’s evolving print, digital, newsletter, web and social platforms;
- Manage commissioned projects: select, brief and manage external expert writers;
- Working with the content manager to select and report on key BCS-organised events (including events for Organisational Members and Specialist Group and Branch meetings) and commission BCS expert content, conduct written and video interviews, report on external events (guide: 8 per year) as required by content manager and challenges events;
- Generate feature ideas and contribute content to ITNOW, other print-based products and the BCS website;
- Correct text in InDesign;
- Negotiate and monitor deadlines with writers;
- Keep up to date with IT industry trends and topics;
- Establish manage and maintain day to day relationships with writers, third party suppliers and collaborators;
Education & experience
- Degree level education or equivalent
- Proven writing experience
- Expert level sub-editing skills
- Expert level commissioning skills
- Proven experience of managing external writers and contributors
Competencies & skills
- Knowledge of publishing and media software
- Good knowledge of Microsoft office packages
- Professional sub-editing skills
- Very high attention to detail
- Effective communication skills
- Ability to build and maintain professional working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to work under pressure and to timescales
- Ability to manage own schedule, workload and to achieve agreed objectives with the minimum of supervision
- Libel & copyright legislation
- Camera function and operation
- The IT industry
- Social media channels
- Some UK travel will be required as will some evening work.
We are dedicated to providing training and development to help all staff realise their potential, and also offer a generous benefit package, including 23 days annual leave, contributory pension scheme, life assurance, PMI and parking.
BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT are committed to promoting equality at every opportunity as an employer. This statement and our policies are designed to ensure our recruitment and employment practices and procedures actively promote equality of opportunity and value diversity.
All applicants must be eligible to work in the UK upon application.
In the event that we receive a high number of applications for this vacancy, we may be unable to provide an individual response to every candidate, therefore if you haven’t heard back from us within 4 weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful on this occasion.
How to apply: Please apply with your CV and a supporting statement.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position