Are you someone with a keen eye for detail and a stickler for spotting a typo? Do you fancy a new challenge of working in a fast-paced, energetic environment creating content for a reputed and respectable profession?
Veterinary Business Development, publisher of market-leading titles and websites for the veterinary profession, is looking for a sub-editor with experience in print and online to join its expanding team.
Our successful candidate will be working as part of a small, friendly and close-knit editorial group of individuals subbing news and technical, clinical features for our print and web portfolio. Your primary role will be to sub-edit and lay out pages for our weekly title, Vet Times, while also proofreading for our other print titles.
Alongside this, our candidate will be required to read and upload news copy for our website vettimes.co.uk on a daily basis, alongside uploading print material to the website and proofreading internal communications from our other departments.
Salary is competitive and dependent on experience.
Interested? Please send your CV and covering letter to chief sub-editor Sara Frost (email@example.com) by 31 October 2021.
Reporting to: Chief sub-editor
Based at: VBD, Olympus House, Werrington Centre, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire PE4 6NA.
Relevant publications/websites: vettimes.co.uk, Vet Times, Vet Times Livestock, Vet Times Equine, VN Times, VBJ and Congress Times.
Software familiarity required: Adobe InDesign and Adobe Photoshop
- Sub-editing news and feature articles for length, clarity, interest, spelling and grammar in accordance with the company style guide, veterinary dictionaries, and relevant reference resources for use on websites and print
- Repurposing and editing news and features content daily or as required for use on websites
- Designing and laying out pages to the templated style for print publications. Subbing editorial print pages and, when required, advertising material or other editorial on paper (using established proof-reading symbols)
- Uploading editorial material to the websites using our content management system.
- Proofing articles and making corrections
- Sourcing images from photo libraries as required
- Contacting authors regarding queries relating to their articles
- Processing images for repro using Photoshop - including, but not limited to, colour correction and cut-outs
- Liaising with colleagues to ensure efficient, high-quality workflow, and progression of news and features through the editorial department to pre-press and on to websites
- Processing pages for repro
- Attendance at congresses, press conferences and events if required
Key administration tasks:
- Answering any incoming editorial queries, both by phone and email, as necessary, for colleagues
- Any additional administrative duties as directed to ensure efficient delivery of the publications
Veterinary Business Development
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position