We are looking for an exceptional digital journalist to take on court and crime coverage at the Southern Daily Echo.
You will lead our reporting of crime and court in Southampton - one of the most important roles in the newsroom and a major driver of digital traffic and newspaper sales.
We want much more than someone that sits in court - we are looking for exclusive investigations, backgrounders, and well-crafted news pieces around the big crime issues of the day, alongside the very best of what is happening in our courtrooms.
Our nationwide network of court and crime reporters are some of the best-performing journalists in the Newsquest group. This is your chance to join that top tier.
You will be:
- Brimming with ideas on how to tackle the remit and get the most out of it digitally
- Versatile, and as eager to cover a first appearance at magistrates' court or joining police on a raid as you are providing live coverage of a major crown court trial
- Fully across what digital readers want from court and crime coverage
- A digital native, with digital storytelling at the forefront of all you do
- Clued up on the law and comfortable dealing with people outside court
- Excellent at developing relationships with key contacts to improve coverage
- Driven to succeed using the digital analytics tools at your disposal
- Confident in getting the best out of the court and challenging them when necessary
- A self-starter, brilliant with time management
- Experienced qualified reporter with a strong background in court coverage
You will be based in our new state-of-the-art, waterfront offices covering a very busy, interesting and varied patch. It is a role that is as big as you want to make it.
Salary is dependent on experience.
If you think you have what it takes, send your CV, and a covering email as your application.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position