The Scottish Sun is looking for a crime reporter to join our award-winning journalism team at Scotland's Newspaper of the Year at a time of exciting opportunities in our multi-platform and modern newsroom.
News UK is a company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are an ambitious and ever-growing organisation with a passion for storytelling to make sense of the world. Our newspapers reach more than 30 million people each week and include The Sun, The Times and The Sunday Times. News UK is also home to Wireless, a leading UK and Irish media company boasting independent local and national radio stations.
The team: We are The Scottish Sun. The Scottish Sun is Scotland's number one, award-winning newsbrand. The Scottish Sun cares about quality of life, the kind of world we live in, and about people. The Scottish Sun is more than a newspaper. It is an instigator, an entertainer, a cultural reference point, a finger on the pulse, and a daily relationship. The Scottish Sun strives to the very highest standards of accuracy in its reporting, and continues to invest in original journalism in print and online.
Your role: The crime reporter will be responsible for taking the lead on our coverage of crime issues. From high-profile trials and breaking news incidents to interviews with top police officers, the role is varied and requires dedication, passion, drive and an ability to dig out stories that set us apart from our competitors. It is a key role at our title and a great opportunity for an ambitious and experienced reporter to make their mark.
Day to day:
- Source and produce first-class news content for print and digital
- Bring in agenda-setting scoops and exclusives that chime with Scottish Sun readers
- Independently build contacts to maintain a steady flow of original news stories
- Interview people in a range of different circumstances
- Be mindful of IPSO and legal issues
What we are looking for from you:
- Experience of reporting or writing for a newspaper or magazine, online or in print
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to produce copy which is crisp and accurate
- Passion for all things news and current affairs
- An energetic, enthusiastic and story-hungry individual
- Someone who is keen to make their mark
- Able to thrive in a deadline-driven environment
- A sense of humour and positive energy
- Knowledge of IPSO regulations
Life at News
At News UK some of us work flexibly, in many different ways. We encourage you to talk to us about the flexibility you need. We cannot promise to offer exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
We champion diversity and inclusion, we strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential and ensure everyone feels valued. We support this through our Diversity Board, D&I strategy and training, creating more diverse content and our intern and apprenticeship programmes.
We also have eight employee-led networks; Cultural Diversity, News is Out, GenZ, Sustainability Champions, News for Parents, Women in Tech, News UK Christian Fellowship and we are awaiting the launch of our Women's Steering Group.
We take pride in looking after our amazing talent at News UK supporting the Health and Wellbeing of our staff. We offer private medical insurance covering pre-existing conditions, discounted gym memberships, ClassPass at Home, weekly virtual HIIT, yoga and run club classes, and a 'Bikes for Work' scheme, as well as offering opportunities for physio/massage, counselling and legal support.
In addition we also offer:
- A generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 5 per cent;
- 25 days' holiday and up to four volunteering days per year;
- Maternity leave up to 18 weeks full basic salary and paternity leave up to two weeks;
- Wide range of training available, plus full LinkedIn Learning access.
We want to ensure that everyone we meet has the opportunity to perform to their best when interviewing, so feel free to let us know, at any stage, whether you require any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, and we will do our best to accommodate.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position