HuffPost is a Pulitzer Prize-winning source of breaking news, video, features, and entertainment, as well as a highly engaged global community for opinion and conversation. The site launched its first international edition in May 2011.
HuffPost is seeking a deputy blogs editor with a strong background in opinion journalism, copy editing, and an extensive knowledge of current affairs to help lead the curation and growth of HuffPost’s blogging platform in the UK.
The position desires a candidate with both a filled contacts book and the ability to unearth and develop emerging and diverse voices who can offer HuffPost readers a fresh perspective on the news agenda.
You must be skilled in helping the team discover authentic voices unheard in the media, entice influential voices who can set the agenda with their writing, and bring on board informed, expert voices who can analyse and scrutinise the agenda for the HuffPost audience.
Key to the role will be experience in building and developing communities - for example sourcing blogs from on-site comments and social media posts, growing Facebook groups and newsletters, and leveraging knowledge of distribution to help get our blogs in front of those who need to read them will be crucial to your success.
Newsroom experience is essential, as the candidate will need to work in tandem with senior editors across the site, and have the confidence to deputise for the blogs editor in meetings, planning sessions and on larger site-wide projects.
The role naturally requires a skilled copy editor used to the fast-paced nature of news.
About the opportunity...
- Work with the blogs editor and team to cultivate and grow the blogging platform
- Deputise for the editor and lead confidently in their stead
- Diversify the platform and bring new, marginalised voices to the site
- Collaborate with the news, politics, entertainment, video and life teams on core themes and deeper project work
- Work with the distribution teams to innovate with new ways to reach our readers
- Role will involve some potential out-of-hours work and weekend working on rotation
- Ideally 3+ years experience in a newsroom environment
- Have a passion for telling other people’s stories and helping bring their stories to light
- Self-motivated but a team player capable of working with multiple stakeholders at once
- Confidence proof-reading at both at a fast pace and on longer form pieces
- Strong sense of empathy and ability to work with bloggers writing around sensitive topics
- Have your finger on the pulse of trending topics and issues that will get readers talking
- Have worked on projects and understands how to balance opposing views and offer our readers a well-rounded and fair take on the news agenda
- A stacked book of contacts
- A burning passion for HuffPost and what we stand for
Oath is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on, age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category. Oath is dedicated to providing an accessible environment for all candidates during the application process and for employees during their employment. Please let us know if you need a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or participate in the application process.