Based in the heart of lively Notting Hill, we are an award-winning, global provider of legal content and information services. We seek people who are intelligent, possess an international outlook and can work with pace, in our fast-growing company. In return, we offer stimulating and challenging work.
Law Business Research is looking for a deputy chief sub-editor who possesses excellent technical knowledge of editing software, experience of adopting XML editorial/production workflows, experience of managing copy-editors/sub-editors, legal editing experience, and a very good grasp of publishing and media law.
Reporting to the head of a fifteen-strong copy-editing team, the successful candidate will have responsibility for ensuring the copy-editors’ interests are represented in a programme to streamline and modernise our production workflow. This will include participating in supplier evaluation and the customising of third-party editing software and working with in-house copy-editors, technical project managers, content managers and web developers, and third-party suppliers. The candidate will also be expected to enhance the copy-editing team’s technical skillset, as well as fulfil line-management and libel-reading duties. The candidate will also be asked to copy-edit complex legal texts for multi-author works. The company employs around 180 employees across our current brands: Global Arbitration Review; Global Competition Review; Global Investigations Review; Global Restructuring Review; Latin Lawyer; Latin American Corporate Counsel Association; Who’s Who Legal; Getting the Deal Through; and The Law Reviews. Our publications appear in print and online. Live events and conferences are held by our GAR, GCR, GIR, GRR, Latin Lawyer and LACCA brands.
The deputy chief sub-editor will be expected to:
- Liaise with the production and digital teams to ensure delivery of an editor-friendly workflow
- Maximise the use of machine-editing tools among the copy-editing team
- Oversee members of the copy-editing team, helping them to develop and stay up-to-date with best practice
- Provide cover for our online daily news team, screening copy for legal and reputational risk
- Lay out and copy-edit text for complex legal publications
- Assume, after a short interval, line-management responsibilities
We are looking for a someone who is able to demonstrate:
- An ability to clearly evaluate legal risks in daily news briefings
- Excellent copy-editing skills
- Experience of legal, or other technical, editing
- An ability to develop and simplify workflows
- Extensive knowledge of editing and typesetting tools and an ability to adopt these into the editorial workflow Good coaching skills and experience of line management
How to apply:
To proceed with your application please click the "Apply Online" button below