We are looking for two deputy editors to help ensure high quality editorial for either Sporting Rifle or Gun Trade News magazine.
Acquired in 2016, Future’s Field Sports department is one of the newest and most dynamic of Future’s content ‘verticals’. Our brands are ultra-specialist and serve committed groups of passionate readers in the airgun, rifle, clay shooting and archery sectors. We also publish the UK’s leading industry title Gun Trade News and the market-leading YouTube broadcast The Shooting Show.
Our aim is to create the best specialist Field Sports business around and to do that we need to continue to invest in our market-leading brands Sporting Rifle, Clay Shooting and Bow International, and continue to develop Airgun Shooter in a competitive sector.
Future’s Field Sports group is managed by a Group Editor-in-Chief and Group Managing Editor, who both report into the Editorial Director of Magazines. Commercial revenues are pivotal to the group’s ongoing success so editorial teams work closely with their commercial counterparts to drive relationships and attendance at events (our own and third party) is important in connecting with readers and the industry.
Job Summary & Purpose
The Deputy Editor position on Sporting Rifle is critical to the magazine’s success. Working closely with the magazine’s remotely-based Editor-in-Chief and the Group Managing Editor, you’ll be the operational powerhouse keeping the content and administrative aspects of the magazine ticking over while the Editor-in-Chief focuses on capturing unique content in the field and building commercial relationships for the brand. You’ll be responsible for keeping everything organised, managing the production, creating content for the magazine, its website and social media properties, and signing off pages of the magazine at the end of the cycle.
Key role responsibilities
- Commissioning contributors and managing the contributor budget
- Writing key content for the magazine and its website
- Overseeing and maintaining standards in sub-editing and preparing for design of externally submitted copy, including sourcing additional imagery
- Ensuring the magazine’s social media channels are updated on a daily basis
- Writing the magazine’s weekly newsletter
- Organising production on the magazine end ensuring the workflow is smooth and all deadlines are met
- Signing off pages at the end of the schedule
- Being the ‘link-up’ between editorial and other departments, such as Subscriptions, Circulation and Advertising
Essential skills and experience
- Experience working on a consumer specialist magazine in a production and/or section editor capacity
- Knowledge of the Field Sports market, the sensitivities around the subject matter, the ethics and the legal responsibilities
- Understanding of digital channels including websites, social media and newsletters
- Ability to manage a budget
- Good communication skills to ensure effective liaison with key stakeholders
Future plc is an international publishing and media group, and a leading digital business. Founded in 1985 with one magazine, today we have offices in London, Bath, Bournemouth, Bromsgrove, New York, San Francisco and Sydney. At Future we believe in teamwork that transcends location.
Future is a global platform for specialist media with scalable, diversified brands. We strive to create fans of our brands by giving them a place where they want to spend their time, where they go to meet their needs; continuing to create loyal communities. We are expanding our global reach through organic growth, acquisitions and strategic partnerships while diversifying our monetisation models to create significant revenue streams.
Our focus is in the core areas of consumer technology, games & entertainment, music, knowledge & science, field sports, home interests and photography & design. At Future, we’re constantly innovating and we are passionate about what we do!
Behind our titles is a team of world-class editorial, creative and tech talent working together to connect, inspire and entertain our global audience. Sitting alongside are a team of business specialists, commercial and enabling functions who support every aspect of Future’s operations.
With superbrands such as PC Gamer, TechRadar, GamesRadar+, MusicRadar & TeamRock, Future’s digital properties complement its print portfolio, reaching millions of unique visitors globally each month. We have successful and growing revenue streams in international licensing, contract publishing, eCommerce and a rich portfolio of events.
How to apply
To proceed with your application please click the "Apply Online" button below