The digital edition of the award-winning current affairs magazine The Week is looking for a deputy editor to join our friendly team. Like our sister print publications, The Week’s website cherry-picks the best news articles, features and opinion pieces from media outlets across the globe and weaves them together into bite-sized digests and comprehensive briefings. A new range of web, app and online features are under development and will be a key responsibility for the new deputy editor.
What you will be doing...
The deputy editor will be responsible for:
- Editing articles for The Week’s digital products in a fast-paced news environment where accuracy is critical. Quality control will be at the heart of the role
- Helping to set the agenda for The Week's daily digital coverage, contributing story ideas and using a mixture of analytics data and editorial instinct to decide what we should cover and how
- Working with writers and other editors to ensure consistency of tone and style across all digital products, including the website, newsletters and app
- Deputising for the UK executive editor and providing cover for the news editor and other team members when necessary. This might include anything from running the news desk to curating newsletters or overseeing arts and life content
- There will also be opportunities to take part in our award-winning podcast, The Week Unwrapped, and to write for our travel, culture and lifestyle sections
Experience that will put you ahead of the curve...
- An interest in everything from politics and international affairs to lifestyle journalism and the arts
- Knowledge and understanding of UK current affairs is essential
- Excellent writing, proofreading and organisation skills. You should be familiar with The Week’s approach to news
- Capable of meeting tight deadlines and juggling multiple tasks
- Five to 10 years of relevant work experience, including in digital news
- NCTJ or equivalent journalism degree preferred
- Experience in writing a range of digital content and using content management systems would be beneficial
What's in it for you…
We have a number of awesome perks available to our staff. We offer huge opportunities to learn and develop, whether through professional qualifications, exposure to incredible business projects or informal lunch and learns, hosted by your colleagues. We have a fantastic culture where we really do care about our people and want everyone to succeed. Varied roles mean you are not pigeonholed in to one finite area but get the opportunity to develop a wide range of skills and experience
And to top it all off, not only do we offer unlimited holiday because we trust you to manage your workload and time but we also offer a share in our success whereby every colleague is eligible to join our profit pool bonus scheme - if Future hits their performance targets all colleagues may receive a bonus.
The expected range for this role is £33,000 - £48,000
This is a hybrid role from our London Office, working three days from the office, two from home
Who are we…
We are Future. We are 3000+ colleagues over 250+ brands speaking to 400 million people every month across the globe through websites, events and magazines. We have got ambitious plans that build on our growth momentum and unlock new opportunities and we are looking for talented people who want to be a part of it.
Our Future, Our Responsibility - Inclusion and Diversity at Future
We have a voice and we are going to use it. We promote diversity and inclusion not just in our recruitment processes, but everything we do. We’re an equal opportunity employer and we will continue to ensure our recruitment process is free of bias and our workplaces are inclusive, positive, free of discrimination and respecting of all backgrounds and beliefs. Our culture is underpinned by our values and employees - current and future - are treated with respect and fairness.
Please let us know if you need any reasonable adjustments made so we can give you the best experience!
Find out more about Our Future, Our Responsibility on our website.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position