- To work with the editor to compile Construction Manager, a monthly magazine for 31,000 members of the Chartered Institute of Building and its website, which covers the industry's news agenda with authority and insight.
- The post will involve writing and sourcing compelling news for web and print, and writing in-depth feature articles for the magazine, ranging from profiles to investigative reporting to more technical articles on new construction technologies.
- Candidates should be able to work to the high editorial standards Construction Manager is known for, and be able to quickly grasp issues in a fast-moving world. Developing a strong sense of their audience and building up good contacts within the industry is a must.
- Working with the editor to generate ideas, plan, write and commission copy for the print magazine, published 10 times a year
- Researching and writing feature articles for the print magazine from initial idea to finished copy
- Taking responsibility for sections of the magazine
- From time to time, editing the twice-weekly e-newsletter
- Help to build the title's social media profile, by posting on Twitter, LinkedIn etc
- Act as ambassador for the title, attending relevant events
- Building and maintaining relationships with key staff at the CIOB
- During the magazine's production phase, liaising closely with the designer and production editor on lay-outs, standfirsts, captions etc
- Liaising with advertising department on any joint projects, such as sponsored Round Tables
- Working effectively with other departments to ensure good working relationships are maintained
- Help to formulate new business ideas based on technical and market knowledge
- Any other duties, as reasonably requested
- Must have good understanding of magazine editorial process and accurate and clear writing and editing style. Experience of the construction industry, or a sector with similar characteristics, is preferred.
- Previous experience of taking responsibility for a section of a print title
- Experience of online publishing would be desirable
- Proven ability to act independently, take editorial decisions and manage priorities
- Ability to deal with day-to-day operational problems and react flexibly
- Analytical thinker, able to extract key principles from complex materials.
How to apply
To apply please email your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or please click the "apply online" button below
Subscribe to our daily (Mon-Fri) email job alerts to get more jobs like this and/or follow @journalism_jobs on Twitter.