Deputy editor, Speciality Food Magazine
Full-time, permanent, office-based (Colchester)
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of the fine food industry's leading publication. The successful applicant will work closely alongside the Editor to plan and produce a dynamic magazine, website and social media presence.
The ideal candidate will be highly organised and articulate with a genuine excitement for food. The fine food industry is one of the fastest-growing sectors of the British marketplace, and applicants will need to demonstrate that they are able to report on this with authority and keen attention to detail. As the dominant publication in an ever-evolving sector, Speciality Food demonstrates the highest levels of editorial style as well as an impressive commercial nous; the successful candidate will work closely with the magazine's advertising team to ensure both new and established advertising relationships continue to flourish.
They will have a flair for creating engaging and informative features in a contemporary style, the confidence to represent Speciality Food at industry events (from shows and media events to formal balls and awards evenings, some of which may require overnight stays), and a hunger to be the first to report on the sector's most exciting news.
The role will see the successful candidate researching and writing news, features and commercial copy; conducting interviews with some of the industry's biggest names; producing engaging content for specialityfoodmagazine.com and Twitter; working closely with the advertising and design teams; and deputising for the the Editor when needed.
The candidate will ideally be educated to degree standard or equivalent, and must be able to produce evidence of excellent written English skills in the form of previously published work.
Applicants who make it to the interview stage may have to take a subbing test and/or research and write a short article to an agreed deadline.
- Excellent feature and news writing, subbing and proofing skills
- Robust research skills and a nose for a story
- Flair for selecting appropriate imagery
- Capability to produce strong social media and website posts
- Ability to work as part of the Speciality Food team, including design and advertising departments
- Researching and writing features
- Keeping up to date with industry news
- Researching and writing news stories for online and print
- Updating social media content daily
- Subbing and proofing
- Overseeing pages from start to finish, including liaising with advertisers and designers
- Attending shows and meetings in and out of house
- Responsible to the editor and supporting the editor
- Providing support for commercial activity
- Deputising in the absence of the editor
How to apply:
To proceed with your application please send your CV and a cover letter to email@example.com
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position