- Can you write concise, balanced copy on everything from politics and global events to health and entertainment?
- Are you bang up to date with current affairs, able to work to tight deadlines, and quick to nose out the stories that should be top of the news agenda?
- Do you have experience or qualifications in journalism and want to expand your career by working at a flourishing news website?
The digital edition of award-winning current affairs magazine The Week is looking for a deputy news editor to join our friendly team. Like our sister publication, TheWeek.co.uk cherry-picks the best articles, features and opinion pieces from media outlets worldwide and edits them together into bite-sized digests.
Our watchwords are brevity, clarity and consistency, and our mission is to keep readers up to speed on important global issues through our clear and informative reads.
Job description and requirements
We’re looking for a deputy to support and sometimes stand in for our busy news editor. The role includes drawing up the daily news list when required and putting together newsletters, as well as commissioning and editing articles.
Our deputy needs to write in-depth features in a fast-paced news environment, so you must be able to work quickly and accurately. Experience using CMS would be a major bonus too.
The successful candidate will also take responsibility for TheWeek.co.uk's social media presence, so social savvy is a must.
On a more general level, we want someone who will embrace the chance to take on new tasks and contribute ideas to help further develop the website and The Week brand as a whole.
There is also the opportunity to become a regular panellist on The Week Unwrapped podcast and to review restaurants, global travel destinations and more for The Week Portfolio digital luxury channel.
If all that sounds like something you could do, send us your CV and samples of your recent stories. This is a full-time position, based in our central London office.
At Dennis, we’re dedicated to creating brands that people want to work with, and a culture that people want to work in. We’re unique, and so are you. You’ll enjoy a host of benefits and perks when you join us, on top of a satisfying salary. And that’s not all:
- We’re award winning. You will be working across award-winning brands and in award-winning teams and joining a culture where innovation and success are encouraged.
- Our Commitment. We’re very proud to support The Heart of England Forest; an exciting and ambitious charity aiming to plant and preserve the largest native broadleaf forest in England. Founded by our late chairman, Felix Dennis, every employee gets the chance to plant a tree in their name so you can feel part of their vision.
- We’re always thinking of you. You’ll have access to plenty of great benefits such as 28 days holiday, a contributory pension scheme and discounted gym membership.
- We recognise hard work. Have you always dreamed of taking time out of work to travel the world? You’ll be given the opportunity to take a 6 week paid sabbatical after five years service. And if you’re lucky enough to win our Employee of the Year Award you’ll be sent on a holiday of a lifetime to a destination that certainly has the ‘wow’ factor.
- We know how to have fun. Whether it’s swatting up for one of our pub quizzes, creating a costume for our famous fancy dress parties or taking part in a fitness challenge as part of our annual charity day - we can guarantee you will share the enjoyment of life at Dennis.
How to apply
To proceed with your application please click the "Apply Online" button below
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position