Metro.co.uk brings breaking news and shareable content to a fast-growing global audience and we are now looking for an experienced and talented Deputy Picture Editor to join the team.
This is a great opportunity to join an energetic and creative picture desk, working alongside other picture editors and graphic designers, producing great picture content whilst supporting News, Sport, Lifestyle and Entertainment journalism.
The successful candidate will have experience in commissioning photographers, managing a team, developing projects with section editors and adding their stamp to the visual identity of a site.
Suitable candidates will have extensive picture editing experience and a proven track record of editing picture content and coordinating coverage in a fast-paced digital news environment. They will have created image-led content for a social audience.
- Strong picture editing experience working on a digital news publication
- An expert eye for spotting the most interesting pictures and stories across all social platforms, media channels and resources
- A passion for generating original ideas for image-led content and the ability to communicate stories in the most engaging and shareable way
- Excellent understanding of social platforms
- Good knowledge of Photoshop and creativity is a must
- Understanding of commissioning and creation of graphics
- Broad industry contacts and good relationships with picture agencies
- Sound technical knowledge of picture management and web publishing systems
- Understanding of legal covenants such as the UK Editors’ Code of Practice, media law, copyright law and editorial guidelines in the UK and globally
The above list is not exhaustive and constantly evolving, based on the needs of the business. Out of hours availability and a high level of adaptability are essential.