The special projects team (SPT) is a research-based news team of specialist reporters, producing high-quality original stories, focusing on exclusives, analysis and archive content. With the team looking to grow, we need a deputy special projects editor to assist the editor in managing the team, while also producing their own brilliant lines.
This is an exciting opportunity to take a leadership role on a team of specialist reporters working on research-based content for Express.co.uk. The deputy special projects editor will liaise with the editor to work on high-quality exclusives that complement the wider Express brand, as well as supporting the reporters on the team. Day-to-day for the deputy will be a mix of writing their own stories and aiding the editor with their various responsibilities.
This role will be a mix of home and office working at our London Hub (Canary Wharf).
So, who are we?
We are Reach plc, you might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland's most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human.
Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
- Helping oversee SPT output on the website and making sure we lead the way in terms of coverage in a range of topics including politics, royal, science, sport, world news, celebrity and TV
- Creating fresh story ideas, both for yourself and the team; this will involve working on exclusive interviews and overseeing research from secondary sources such as books, documentaries, podcasts and academic journals
- Writing up to five stories a day, depending on other workload
- Helping sub-edit reporters' copy as required, ensuring high standards are maintained at all times and that all content is authoritative, distinctive, engaging and adheres to brand guidelines
- Helping with reporter development, including collecting individual and team statistics, and assisting with monthly meetings
- Fill in for the editor with all their duties, including planning meetings, when they are away on leave
The ideal candidate
- Experience in digital, with excellent understanding of SEO, social media and CMS, as well as a track record of driving traffic.
- Have a keen eye for a story and the ability to unpackage content no one else can see
- The ability to thoroughly and accurately sub-edit copy on a wide range of topics
- An intimate knowledge of the Express brand and readership
- The ability to compile news lists that are strong, varied, targeted to the Express audience and reactive to the news agenda.
- The ability to manage a team and nurture talent, while also sourcing brilliant exclusive content yourself
- Able to work quickly and to tight deadlines.
- Be a self-starter, full of innovative ideas for the special projects team to push its content further
- NCTJ qualified
- At least two years' experience as a journalist
- Experience in digital, with a clear track record of driving traffic
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including:
- 25 days' holiday per annum when you join. After three, five and 10 years' service with Reach, you will accrue one additional day of annual leave
- Enhanced maternity, partner and shared parental leave benefits
- Contributory pension scheme
- Share save scheme
- Simply Health Cash Plan
- A brilliant induction and learning hub
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Technology purchase scheme
- Car purchase scheme
- Discounted gym membership
- Lots of high street discounts
- Huge focus on diversity and inclusion. We have launched six networks to drive diversity at work and an inclusive environment, and to give you a voice. We hold panel events with internal and external guest speakers, and provide some really useful resources.
- Huge focus on your wellbeing. Free wellbeing apps and confidential coaching support, with access to free healthcare advice and counselling (available to your and your immediate family members who live in the same household). Some services are available 24/7 via call and live chat.
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position