The Europe Newsgathering team works closely with the Beijing headquarters and the other hubs in Washington DC and Nairobi to set the network's editorial agenda for Europe.
The team commissions news and current affairs stories as well as special series with original journalism from the vast network of staff and freelance correspondent teams in London and across Europe.
These stories may be planned in advance or assigned for immediate, on-the-day use on CGTN's 24-hour broadcast and digital platforms.
- Monitor wires, social media and other broadcast networks for breaking stories and news developments, and confirm facts - utilising agencies, official and other sources
- Assign correspondents and field camera operators to cover breaking news and developing stories for TV and online platforms. Inform show producers about options for content and the progress of material being prepared for broadcast.
- Plan, research and develop coverage plans for the following day's news. Briefing teams on their assignments, including editorial, logistical information and their TV and digital tasks. Also ensuring information is handed over effectively to the team handling the next day's news.
- Research, develop and organise future story development, and work on long-range planning for special events and feature stories. You would also be expected to act up as planning editor when needed.
- Work closely with desks in Beijing, Washington DC and Nairobi to co-ordinate daily news coverage
- Co-ordinate closely with satellite operations editors
- Demonstrate a willingness to embrace the digital world and new technology
- Help with sundry jobs assigned to the Newsgathering team
- With at least five years of experience in a similar role in an international newsroom, you will have strong editorial and logistical skills, with good knowledge of business news and global current affairs.
- Be familiar with various government agencies in the UK and Europe
- Demonstrate experience of live newsgathering technology and transmission facilities
- Have a strong ability to prioritise and multi-task in breaking news scenarios
- A creative flair to deliver original newsgathering
About CGTN Europe
China Global Television Network, or CGTN, is an international media organisation launched on 31 December, 2016. CGTN's aim is to provide objective, balanced, impartial news and current affairs content, reporting the news from a Chinese perspective. We aim to differentiate ourselves from leading Western media organisations by pursuing a larger international vision; focusing on nations, regions, and stories often ignored by Western media.
CGTN Europe is a multimedia production centre in Chiswick Business Park and operates from a modern, purpose-built newsroom. It joins the other regional CGTN hubs in Beijing, Nairobi and Washington DC in helping the network to set the news agenda across the UK and Europe, by broadcasting and publishing award-winning news and current affairs content that will provide a fresh take on European political, economic, social and cultural affairs.
CGTN is committed to achieving a working environment which provides equality of opportunity, value and respect, regardless of race, religion or belief, national origin, marital or civil partnership status, maternity or pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender or gender reassignment or any other protected group status.
Our diverse employees individually contribute to CGTN's programming, live output and across a range of online platforms and podcasts. We continue to encourage talented people from all backgrounds to apply to our roles and to welcome into our company.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position