Summary of main responsibilities and activities:
Alliance is looking for a trained editor with experience of online editing, strong digital skills and an interest in philanthropy. The digital editor’s principal responsibility is to directly manage the digital strategy and content of the organization and to work with the executive editor to maintain high editorial quality.
- Primary lead for all online coverage of the global philanthropy sector including delivery of worldwide philanthropy news working with international partners, sources and networks with an emphasis on under-represented regions.
- Editorial lead for delivery of 20 annual instalments of Alliance Extra - long form commissioned content including analysis and interviews.
- Management and delivery of our ClimatePhilanthropy2030 initiative - committed to dedicated weekly coverage of philanthropy’s response to climate change.
- Delivery of philanthropy columns with a focus on sector developments including good funding practices and the future of philanthropy.
- Assist the editor with conceptualisation and planning of our quarterly editorial focuses and being a additional point of contact for our Editorial Advisory Board.
- Generate revenue through securing and managing contracts for publishing services against agreed targets.
- Curate Alliance online pages – a quarterly round up of the best of our website for our print issue.
- Be responsible for the editorial construction and chairing of our webinars and/or other events as required.
- Act in accordance with editorial guidelines and standards.
Technology and media engagement:
- Monitor performance of online content with the goal of growing our audience and liaise with communications, partnerships & membership manager to ensure that the voice of our members is reflected in editorial content.
- Liaise with communications, partnerships & membership manager to develop our website, and use of graphics and info graphics, to ensure it meets the needs of our readers.
- Maintain IT knowledge to ensure Alliance is up to date with new trends and technologies in publishing and communications.
Relationship building and philanthropy sector knowledge:
- Develop expansive knowledge of the global philanthropy sector, the people and organisations active in that space and to keep up with the latest trends and development.
- Maintain regular contact with key people across the global philanthropy sector.
- Attend and cover sector events and form productive relationships with our sector readers.
Alliance is looking for a trained editor with experience of online editing, strong digital skills and an interest in philanthropy.
- Experience of online publishing and news gathering.
- High level of digital editing skills and experience including commissioning and working with authors.
- Strong inter-personal skills including the ability to form strong relationships with all those involved in the running of Alliance: including staff team, editorial and APT boards, freelance editors and designers, and contributors and partners.
- Strong organisational skills including working with multiple articles and authors at once in a systematic and coherent manner.
- Intellectual curiosity about philanthropy taking a keen interest in current affairs and showing awareness of how global events and trends might affect philanthropy.
- Experience working in the philanthropy sector or knowledge of global philanthropy field.
- Enjoy working in a small team and fast paced environment.
- Willingness to travel and work alongside people in different geographies and contexts.
- Knowledge of a second language.
- To be a positive and progressive force within the organisation.
- To engage and collaborate constructively and effectively with in-house and freelance staff.
- To communicate in a timely and constructive manner, both internally and externally.
- To lead by example.
- To be open and honest with colleagues.
- To always behave respectfully towards other team members and external contacts.
- To contribute to team meetings in a positive and proactive manner.
- To maintain professional conduct.
- To work at all times with integrity, and advance our editorial mission.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position