Right To Play is a global organisation that protects, educates and empowers children to rise above adversity using play. By harnessing play, one of the most powerful and fundamental forces in a child’s life, we help 1.9 million children each week to stay in school and out of work, to prevent life-threatening diseases like HIV and malaria and to stay safe from exploitation and abuse. We are the only global development organization focused exclusively on using play to transform the lives of children and youth impacted by poverty, war, disease and inequality.
Established in 2000, Right To Play is headquartered in Toronto, Canada and has operations in 22 countries across North America, Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and Asia.
Visit us at www.righttoplay.com.
We are searching for the ultimate storyteller who can help us bring to life the impact we are making in the lives of more than 1.9 million children each day. Stories about children, like 16 year-old Khansa, who dared to do the impossible and managed to avoid becoming a child bride, or Malual, a child of war who has become a global warrior for peace. We have so many of these powerful stories to tell, but we need someone like you, to identify them, develop them and share them with the world in a compelling and creative way across multiple mediums.
We need someone with an entrepreneurial spirit and solid journalistic skills to give voice and visibility to the incredible transformations experienced by the children in our programs in Africa, Asia and the Middle East. We need you to craft sharp, authentic, compelling narratives about these children, who are empowered to rise above the impacts of poverty, war and disease through play.
The ideal candidate is a passionate storyteller, with a flair for writing that captivates and engages, is fluent in stills, video and editing who is capable of balancing high-end project work with deadline driven needs of the organization. S/he is collaborative with colleagues from different countries and cultures and has a curious and ambitious nature enabling the Digital Multimedia Storyteller to identify the right stories to tell and pitch them in a compelling way to get the support needed to produce our stories.
The Digital Multimedia Storyteller will report to the Director, Marketing and Communications, and will work closely with our teams in the field – travelling at least 50% of the time – to identify, develop, and write original narrative stories bringing their creative and critical eye to editing and rewriting existing content to ensure it commands attention and stands out in a very crowded marketplace. S/he will also contribute to writing social media content and web copy that stands out and inspires engagement. This is a unique position and there is some flexibility in where the position is based, but must it be a fully connected location as the Digital Multimedia Storyteller will communicate and collaborate frequently with our Headquarters (Toronto) and field offices across Africa, the Middle East and Asia.
- Undergraduate degree in Journalism or related discipline, or equivalent work experience
- Minimum 6-8 years of experience as a journalist and/ writer / with portfolio of published content, for a global media and/or online outlet
- Energetic storyteller with excellent writing and communications skills
- Experience working in a news/features environment and in field reporting
- Demonstrated excellence as a print and visual storyteller
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated expertise in video editing and shooting
- Demonstrated ability to generate and execute creative ideas and collaborate with others
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to work with a flexible schedule that includes extensive travel
- Expertise with video and photo editing software including Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe Photoshop
- Strong motivation, a collaborative work ethic and ability to meet deadlines
- Keen understanding of SEO and social media best practices and creative approaches to alternative web publication of visuals and video
- Knowledge of intermediate- to advanced-level equipment (e.g. DSLR camera, video, audio recorder, microphones)
- Knowledge of the global development landscape and related issues a plus
- Highly motivated and committed to editorial success
- Strong copy-editing skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and deliver quality content on deadline
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Fluency in oral and written English required, knowledge of French an asset
Job responsibility #1: Content Development (95%):
- Identify content needs and source leads for story ideas across the organization
- Plan and generate ideas for impactful stories, in collaboration with HQ and field colleagues
- Once stories are approved, plan and organise logistics for travel to the field to develop these stories, including troubleshooting issues as needed
- In the field, further develop stories and gather all elements necessary to tell these stories including arranging and conducting interviews
- Shoots and edits stills and video in addition to written stories
- Review and evaluate notes taken about events to isolate critical facts and details
- Write, edit, compile and finalise stories for publication determining the story’s emphasis, length, and format organizing the material accordingly
- Plan and write impactful stories for use on web, social media and across other platforms
- Collaborate in creating short and concise story-based posts for social media across all countries
- Edit and rewrite existing content whenever needed to align with brand voice and vision as well as editorial approval and time requirements
- Monitor the media to identify new content ideas
Job responsibility #2: Special Projects (5%):
- As required, play a role in coordinating projects associated with global brand building, as well as new initiatives and innovations as assigned by the Director
WHO YOU ARE:
- Passionate, creative multimedia journalist looking to use your skills to tell stories that will help change the lives of children affected by poverty, war disease and inequality
- An exceptional writer with an understanding of news writing and news gathering techniques and calls-to-action
- Keen sense of curiosity and newsworthiness (e.g. what makes a story interesting from the audience’s perspective) with a unique ability to source stories and make things happen
- Able to learn quickly to gain an understanding of organization’s overall programming, fundraising, communications and advocacy objectives
- A creative thinker and a doer, who believes in the power of a story, and knows how to create and bring them to life
- An independent self-starter, comfortable with collaboration
- A global citizen, comfortable with operating in different contexts and cultures with a love for travel and adventure
- A collaborative ‘people’s person” willing and able to quickly establish constructive working relationships with internal and external partners
WHAT YOU’LL GET:
The opportunity to work with a passionate, innovative and collaborative global team where you have the ability to make things happen and travel the world to witness the impact of our programs and tell our story. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience.
Target Start Date: Immediate Opening
Contract Duration: Full-Time
HOW TO APPLY:
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com and kindly include “Digital Multimedia Storyteller, Global” and your name in the subject line. Please indicate your salary expectations in the cover letter.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Right To Play provides equal employment opportunities to employees regardless of their gender, race, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation or marital status. We offer a family-friendly environment that allows for flexible work arrangements in order to support staff diversity and ensure a healthy work-life balance.
We are a child-centered organization. Our recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to the safety and protection of children in our programs. The successful candidate will be required to provide a satisfactory police record check as a condition of employment.
To learn more about who we are and what we do, please visit our website at www.righttoplay.com
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position