Newsquest is looking for a top-class, digital-only reporter to help lead its online coverage in Brighton and Hove and the rest of Sussex.
Every month The Argus reaches millions of people across the UK, and you will be joining a team of driven, innovative journalists taking our content to the next level as Newsquest invests in the future of its industry-leading digital coverage.
This role presents an exciting opportunity for digitally-savvy journalists to unearth the best breaking news, features, leisure and trending stories from across their patch.
You will be delivering the sort of fast, agile and dynamic coverage that our readers expect and deserve in 2021.
You will be joining a fantastic team already carrying out investigations and our stories are regularly taken on by the national press and television news. Every day is exciting at The Argus.
You will be passionate about digital storytelling, with a desire to come up with new and innovative ways of telling those stories using a vast array of different skills, tools and platforms.
A big part of the job will also be immersing yourself in social media to help you tell your stories, develop relationships in your area and discover what it is that gets your community talking.
We want to tell the stories our communities care about - everything from what is happening on the roads to the latest on crime on our streets and in the courts, as well as the best new shops, restaurants and bars (and the ones to avoid!).
- Writing high-quality, accurate news stories, live blogs and features to deadlines as agreed by news editors
- Using a range of digital tools and platforms to tell stories, including video, audio, infographics and maps
- Crafting and posting social media posts to sell your stories and drive engagement
- Using social media to build contacts and sniff out the best stories from your community
- Being first to report accurate breaking news from your patch to keep readers bang up to date
- Thinking creatively to come up with new story ideas and ways to deliver them to our audience
- Staying on top of the latest Google search trends (and trending UK-wide topics) and exploiting those opportunities on a local level relevant to our readership
- Building our digital audience and social media following to bring our content to even more people in the community
- Spotting national/regional content that could resonate in your patch and making it relevant and interesting to our readers
- Keeping on top of what is happening at magistrates' court and reporting the best stories, as well as weekly listings/results
- Developing ideas produced by colleagues and our community content network to drill down into issues locally and adapt them for a digital audience
- Using your SEO skills to reach the largest possible audience
- With guidance from editors, using analytics to identify what our readers like and what they want next
- Building contacts in the community and getting out and about on your patch to see what’s really going on
- Joining forces with your counterparts across the UK to share ideas, best practice, success stories and skills
Our ideal candidate will have:
- NCTJ qualification (including 100wpm shorthand)
- Excellent knowledge of relevant media law
- A zippy, fresh writing style
- Exceptional attention to detail
- The ability to write - and think - quickly under pressure
- An adaptable style to produce everything from live blogs and listicles to long-reads and features
- Skills with shooting and editing video as well as online tools and apps for producing images and audio
- A keen news sense
- Bags of ideas for how stories can be presented in the best possible way for our audiences
- An understanding of what audiences want, and when
- A good sense of humour
- Knowledge of SEO and its importance to digital journalism
- Excellent social media skills and the ability to spot stories and trending topics
- Great people skills and the ability to get on with a wide range of people in the community
- A high level of organisation and the ability to manage your own diary out on patch
- Collaborative skills to pool ideas with the wider digital reporting team and take on board suggestions
If this sounds like the job for you, email your CV to Editor Arron Hendy on email@example.com by 23 April 2021.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position