Daily newspaper The Argus is looking for a digital reporter to join our talented team.
We are seeking an ambitious, digitally skilled and versatile journalist to unearth the best breaking news, features, leisure and trending stories on an incredibly lively news patch.
The right candidate will deliver the fast, agile, and dynamic coverage that our readers expect and deserve.
You will be passionate about digital storytelling, with a desire to come up with new and innovative ways of telling those stories using a vast array of different skills, tools, and platforms.
A big part of the job will also be immersing yourself in social media to help you tell your stories, develop relationships in your area and discover what it is that gets your community talking.
We want to tell the stories our communities care about – everything from what is happening on the roads to the latest on crime on our streets and deliver the inside story of the people and places that make our towns and cities tick.
Ideally, you will be an outstanding trainee with gold standard NCTJ preliminary qualifications and 100wpm or a fully qualified senior reporter.
If you have a journalism degree that is not NCTJ-accredited we will provide the relevant additional training for you to become a fully NCTJ-qualified journalist.
We work on a rota basis with some early and late shifts as well as some weekend work.
You will also have:
- Excellent knowledge of relevant media law
- A versatile, fresh and energetic writing style
- Exceptional attention to detail
- The ability to write – and think – quickly under pressure
- An adaptable style to produce everything from live blogs and listicles to long-reads and features
- Skills with shooting and editing video as well as online tools and apps for producing images and audio
- Bags of ideas for how stories can be presented in the best possible way for our audiences
- Knowledge of SEO and its importance to digital journalism
- Excellent social media skills and the ability to spot stories and trending topics
- Great people skills and the ability to get on with a wide range of people in the community
- A high level of organisation and the ability to manage your diary
- Collaborative skills to pool ideas with the wider reporting team and take on board suggestion
What we offer:
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a great team on a competitive salary. Brighton and Hove and the rest of Sussex is a brilliant place to live and work. And it’s surrounded by some of the most beautiful coastlines and countryside in England.
Newsquest is one of the UK's biggest newspaper and website publishers. We can offer a competitive salary and benefits including:
- Contributory pension
- Perks and discounts at various retail outlets
- Opportunities for team building and training days
- 25 days' paid holiday + statutory bank holidays + your birthday day off.
- Structured career progression, ongoing training, and personal performance reviews
- Discount vouchers
- Discounted gym membership
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Mental health support via Lifeworks
- Eye test vouchers plus £50 towards new glasses.
- Annual Volunteer Charity Day
If this role matches your skills, experience and motivations then please submit your CV with a cover letter identifying why you feel this role is for you.
Newsquest Media Group is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all community sections regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage/civil partnership status, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.
Our recruitment process will consist of various stages and activities, as part of our commitment to fairness to all applicants, we will take into account any adjustments that could help you.
The closing date for applications is Friday, 8 March. Applications will be reviewed as they are received so submit your details as soon as possible.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position