Dods Group plc is a company specialising in intelligence, media, events and training services. We are a trusted partner with governments and donor institutions to support and transform delivery in the field of policy, strategic communications and soft skills.
We have provided comprehensive and trusted political reference data since 1832, and now cover people and institutions in the UK, Europe and Globally.
About the role
The House has been Westminster's magazine since 1976, when it was founded by a cross-party group of MPs. It offers MPs, peers, policy makers and parliamentary staff a clear window into what Parliament is talking about every week.
It is now expanding into a comprehensive multiplatform service for anyone seeking to understand and engage with Westminster and therefore, The House is seeking a visionary editor to lead the editorial side of these efforts.
Reporting to the editor in chief, this is one of the most exciting opportunities in political journalism right now, a figurehead role at a deeply respected brand that is aiming to become an essential media publication for those interested in policy and politics and with strong support from its Parent company to achieve that aim.
What you will be doing
- Assisting and responsible for the re-imagining of The House’s design, print and online presence and the brand's expanding portfolio of off-platform ventures.
- Manage a print magazine of the very highest quality; and to commission and manage compelling and incisive features, interviews, news stories, and comment pieces.
- Assist and support the editor-in-chief and work with our design and product teams to create a high-quality print and online brand that provides an essential service to those working in Westminster, and those on the outside looking in.
- Drive the big picture of what The House should cover on a weekly basis, through commissioning and leading our staff reporters.
- Maintain our unique relationship with Parliament through good working relationships with our high-profile stakeholders.
- Commission freelancers, illustrators and other contractors within budget.
- Direct line management responsibility for some staff members.
- Manage and advise on editorial and legal issues when they arise.
What you need to succeed
- A minimum of five years experience of political journalism.
- A thorough knowledge and understanding of Westminster politics.
- A clear vision of how to shape The House into the essential destination for anyone hoping to get a handle on Westminster and the impact the decisions taken there have nationwide.
- An extensive contacts book across political parties and policy sectors.
- Extremely strong management, ideation, planning and organisational skills.
- Demonstrable writing and editing experience.
- Ability to build relationships with stakeholders.
- An innovative approach to storytelling and a high level of creative and strategic thinking.
What we offer in return
- 25 days' annual leave.
- Corporate Gym Membership Discount.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Season ticket loan.
- Benefits discount portal.
- Exclusive Shard member discounts
- Perkbox - perks and virtual GP
- Government workplace pension scheme.
- Employee assistance programme.
We strongly encourage candidates of all different backgrounds and identities to apply. We are committed to making Dods an inclusive and supportive workplace.
Please forward your CV demonstrating you meet the above criteria for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org
Want to know more about your next employer? Visit www.dodsgroup.com
No agencies please
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position