An opportunity has arisen to join our family-run niche media company based in Milton Keynes as editor of our food publishing portfolio, which includes a monthly and a bi-monthly magazine, an annual publication, plus two websites with weekly e-newsletters. We also own and organise four major award events for the sectors we serve.
About the titles
Food Management today serves the wider food industry with bi-monthly frequency including the processing, manufacturing and multiple retail sectors. Meat Management magazine is a high-quality monthly B2B management magazine serving the UK's £32 billion meat industry. Print editions are supported by online e-magazines.
Both have news websites which are updated daily and throughout the week with exclusive content.
The target markets are served by four leading award events, which are owned and organised by Yandell Publishing. The magazine brands and reputation dovetail fully with these activities and the editor, together with the team plays an important part in their promotion and in generating appropriate content prior to and post events, as required.
As editor you are responsible for all content across the print and online portfolio. We are looking for someone who is a good creative thinker, who uses their initiative and is used to working under pressure to meet constant deadlines.
You will be expected to act as an ambassador for the brands and work with the publisher and advertising sales managers to ensure all our products are commercially successful. You will create content that is appealing to our audience, keeping tone to style.
As well as writing, editing and commissioning pieces, you will also be expected to contribute ideas for developing the media you’re responsible for and, in due course, as the restrictions created by Coronavirus are lifted, attend launches, events and exhibitions. This can occasionally mean working weekends and evenings, and there may also be overseas assignments when travel returns to normal levels. This is no 9.00-5.30 job but it can be huge fun and very rewarding in a dynamic and challenging market.
There are some very exciting aspects to the job but it also comes with the responsibility of updating an important annual directory to ensure listings and content is accurate. You need to be great at admin to ensure you and the editorial team, including contributors, are organised.
We will be happy to consider an editor based from home and visiting the office occasionally.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Line management and development of the editorial team.
- Oversee and edit our printed issues, from cover to cover working alongside our design team.
- Daily upkeep of our websites; keeping content relevant and working with the CMS to create news and features with eye-catching headlines, and to update existing pages.
- Write news stories and features for both the magazine and website, in addition to conducting interviews with anyone from a government minister or CEO, to a retail butcher or a trade body.
- Organise workload through the in-house team and via a team of freelance contributors.
- Planning of each printed issue, within a rolling schedule that meets the needs of the readers, whilst satisfying the marketing requirements of advertisers.
- Work with the commercial team to ensure advertisers are kept happy.
- Source relevant stories, turning them into quality content through research and by developing relationships with the food and meat industry, including PR companies.
- Assisting with content and press duties of our own events.
- Analyse and report on effectiveness of content and engagement.
The candidate will ideally have...
- Previous experience as an editor, deputy editor or section editor.
- Fast, accurate and yet excellent writing and editing skills with a proven ability to produce sparkling copy and help the editorial team to do the same.
- A keen understanding of SEO and an eagerness to evolve best practice.
- Previously worked with content management systems for producing web content.
- Know how to create engaging email newsletters.
- Experience managing social media pages.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills.
- The ability to keep calm under pressure.
- Experience of the food industry may be an advantage but is definitely not essential.
We will only contact applicants who are successful in obtaining an interview and may close the position early if we find the right person, so do apply without delay.
Please send your CV and include a covering letter, addressed to Rob Yandell outlining why you are interested in the position and feel you have the skills and experience we are looking for.
Need to learn a new skill to be eligible to apply for jobs like this? Check out our training courses
Please quote journalism.co.uk when applying for this position